What's in YOUR food bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi guys,

I'm trying to make myself a kit list for food for say a week. I want to go for more traditioal foods that aren't just boil in the bag. I'm a bit of a foodie, and i like to cook. I don't mind washing up afterwards, water permitting, so the mess is not an issue.

What foods do you take with you for a week? What do you reccomend?

So far i have flour, baking soda, suet, powdered potato, and a selection of spices.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Powdered egg is handy along with powdered milk powder (Bannock-tastic)

I also like to take some dried fruit and if I get time to make any befor I go out a bag of Jerky (It can be a good idea to take un-seasoned as well as seasoned)

A bag of dried mixed beans is also good!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I usually have flour, salt, dried skimmed milk powder, shredded suet (a convenient way to carry fat/oil without the mess; that said, I prefer to carry a small bottle of olive oil - it tastes nicer), dried yeast (for those occasions when you want real bread and have time to make it!), stock cubes, Lingham's Sweet Chilli sauce (decanted), Thai 7 spice, dried, unsulphured apricots, dates and Munchy Seeds.

For meals, I tend to take pasta rather than rice and almost always have tomato puree and/or pesto to flavour it.

Apart from that, I usually throw in the 'usual sins' with the brew kit and grab some 'travel-proof' vegetables from the kitchen!

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Noodles also make a really good, quick carb fix that just need covering with boiling water and leaving. If you shop around you can get them really, really cheap; some of the 'flavours' are disgusting, but the seasoning is always in a separate sachet which is easily discarded and you can spice 'em up just how you like 'em.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Dried mushrooms are great in cous-cous or noodles too, shi'take or porcini - the thought of the smell alone is making me salivate :D

Liddles salami, under £3 for a huge one and lightly fried in it's own oil with onion, chilli and then pasta, rice or cous cous with veg stock... mmmm quick, long lasting and lovely.

Oats for breakfast, hot water, powdered milk or in winter, hot water and tubed condensed milk:D

Oatcakes...last forever, use vegemite, granola or a spread of your choice. Use in place of bread.

Meso soup ...fantastic!
Did I mention lentils? pmsl
:240:

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I was making jerky yesterday, made up a recipe, really light and nice. Planning to make half into pemmican which should be interesting.

If I was camping that long, I'd take some yeast, bread is pretty easy, even outside, and it's excellent.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I can confirm: pemmican is not very nice. Jerky however is amazing. Somehow my pemmican has aquired a subtle fishy taste.

I was thinking thought about howw to get something energy dense, and came to the conclusion the best way to get something edible would be to grind up seeds (sunflower?) and mix with melted chocolate and form into bars. Eaten with jerky, it would provide a prettp good mix.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
*Oatcakes, or the makings of them,
*Dried fruit, pears, apples, raisins.
*Dried mushrooms, just in case there's nowt around.
*Nuts, ground almonds (for milk and great for baking with too)
*Marmite in the new squirty bottle.
*Suenut; like Tilley I think it's a brilliant way to carry fat and it's great for doughballs if you have anything boiling, soup or stew, or make sweet ones with the dried fruit and poach them gently in re constituted dried milk or almond milk and turn that into custard for over them for a really, really stick to your ribs, pudding :D
*Honey in the comb or a squirty bottle.
*Dried potatoes.
*Broth mix with the peas removed since they take a disproportionate length of time to cook. I sometimes add some of the dried mushy peas to make it up though.

cheers,
Toddy

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I like to carry a supply of carbs that I can add natural edibles to. My two basic staples are instant rice and instant oatmeal. Not too exciting, true, but add a handfull of wild berries to oatmeal and it's pretty good. Add the remains of any dead critter to rice and a bullion cube and you have a meal. The good thing about these two is that they weigh next to nothing and give you the carbohydrates that you have a hard time finding in the bush.

When I take guys out for our three day survival ordeal the menu consists of 2 Ramen noodles, 6 packets of Quaker instant Oatmeal, and four 25 gram blocks of Rapadura, essentially brown sugar in a solid block. If you've ever eaten with Brazilians you know that this represents a starvation ration for them, they all think they are going to die when they see that little baggie of food for the three day experience. The whole point is to illustarate that if you include some food like that in the bottom of a daypack it won't weigh you down and you won't be uncomfortable during a 72 hour emergency. Mac

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm still in two minds whether to rpe-mix stuff like bannock or if I should just take the basic ingredients. If I was to take suet, flour and salt, sugar, egg powder (although I have gone off the idea since finding out that they are made from battery chicken eggs), milk powder, rice and/or pasta, porridge oats and maybe a few other things, I have the basic ingredients to make all sorts of things. Bannocks, omellettes, dumplings, oatcakes of some sort (!) and all of the ingredients are dry so won't weigh a tonne. I suppose I need to juggle about with measures and see what I need to make this, that and the other and keep the ideas in my head so that I can have a varied diet on the trail. Dried meat and veg can easily be rehydrated with the minimum of fuss and again it cuts down on the weight. I've used my own jerky and fruits dried at home, I have a load of home dried onions and mushrooms, dried chillies and other bits and bobs. I find the messing about and trying stuff out is half of the fun!

Mang

Settler
Noodles also make a really good, quick carb fix.......some of the 'flavours' are disgusting, but the seasoning is always in a separate sachet which is easily discarded and you can spice 'em up just how you like 'em.

Agreed, often the sachets are gloopy and foul :yuck: . I like the noddles with a beef stock cube, a bit of chopped jerky (which softens) and dried onions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE