What's in the parcel?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It is annoying that the PO workers have been so poorly informed of their job descriptions. Many seem to believe they're the frontline with regards prohibited items, but in fact have no right whatsoever to demand the customer describe package contents. The actual examination of contents occurs further down the line.

Lithium batteries are also fine to send if correctly installed in the vibro, sorry, device ;) How else is anyone going to sell and send a second hand phone, particularly sealed units like iPhones?

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
My Post Office are awkward. They say that I don't have to tell them what's in a package however they have the right to refuse any package for any reason and they will refuse it if I don't tell them. Last time I mailed some knitting needles I said they were chopsticks.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I think too many people use the 'camping equipment' description at my PO. They immediately ask if it's a knife if I use that one.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The manager at my local post office was so annoyed that I challenged him about whether he could ask me what is in the parcel, that he now makes a point of doing it every time, even if he doesn't do it to the person in front of me in the queue. It is going to cost him a customer.

When I decline he tries telling me that he can't send it without knowing the contents of the parcel, and tries quoting the Transport of Dangerous Goods act at me. I tell him "Nothing on the restricted list" and he glowers at me and refuses to do anything.

They don't do this with letters, yet plenty of things on the restricted list can be put into an envelope inside a birthday card.

All this, and I haven't even tried sending a knife. :soapbox:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Write to the post office counters complaints department Harvestman. Explain that you are happy to confirm that there is nothing in the parcel on the restricted or prohibited list but not to discuss the nature of the contents of every item. Get them to confirm that this is acceptable then produce that letter.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Write to the post office counters complaints department Harvestman. Explain that you are happy to confirm that there is nothing in the parcel on the restricted or prohibited list but not to discuss the nature of the contents of every item. Get them to confirm that this is acceptable then produce that letter.

Great idea Hugh.

Rob

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

They won't do that.

I had a similar experience to Harvestman but the counter staff just grinned at me and refused to take my parcel because of my attitude when I said all they needed to know was it contained nothing on their restricted list.

So I wrote to customer services and got a response that it's a requirement for all staff to ask as they've received training and have a better knowledge of what can be transported safely blah de blah.

So I've not been back to that particular shop since.

Originally Posted by FGYT
SO you lied it is
on the restricted list :)

Fallkniven S1 Forrest Knife - it's a Bushcraft Tool - not a weapon!

A flick knife, gravity knife or a Ballisong is a weapon by legal definition.

Just about anything can be used as a weapon in fairness.

From PO Website.
Sharp objects
Sharp objects like knives, kitchen utensils and gardening tools may only be posted if they are packaged appropriately so that they are no risk to employees, other postal items or recipients.
Wrap heavy cardboard around sharp edges and points, strong enough to ensure that the contents do not pierce the outer packaging. Wrap each item with cushioning material. Place in a suitable outer container such as a padded envelope. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No a S1 Is not a Weapon so not prohibited But is a sharp object like a Knife which is Restricted as you quote from the PO website from the restricted list ;)

"Now you have to ask him what's in the parcel"

"Nothing on the restricted or prohibited list" says I ( well rehearsed)

;)

I've trained our post offices by having the Lists printed off and hitting them with it till they get the yes/no multiple choice question right :lmao:

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They won't do that.

I had a similar experience to Harvestman but the counter staff just grinned at me and refused to take my parcel because of my attitude when I said all they needed to know was it contained nothing on their restricted list.

So I wrote to customer services and got a response that it's a requirement for all staff to ask as they've received training and have a better knowledge of what can be transported safely blah de blah.

So I've not been back to that particular shop since.

So they ARE supposed to ask?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
So, as long as it's well wrapped we should all be able to say that there's a knife in the package, the guidelines state that it's ok as long as it's wrapped well and of no danger to anyone. " A very well wrapped knife" if they refused that then there would be grounds for going to the post office counters complaints department

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
So they ARE supposed to ask?

Yes, according to the reply I had back.

It's apparently the royal mail that's instructed the post office (two totally separate companies) that the contents of all parcels must be declared before they'll accept them for delivery. End of the day as annoying as it is it's their rules and restrictions and if we don't like it we have to use an alternative courier.

I'll try and find the letter and post it up for folks to have a read through for themselves.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
seems a load of pony to me they dont log it anywhere or write anything on the parcel so wheres the logic in asking

its all down to insurance costs I'd imagine

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
Asked every time I post something.

"What is is please?"
"A paracord dog lead"
"What's that??"
"It's a dog lead,.....made from paracord"
"Err OK"
Confused, they accepted my box.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE