What's in the parcel?

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Got to share this.

I just packaged up the Fallkniven S1 to send off to woodcutter. So I have a rough cylinder wrapped in copious brown tape in hand.

Wandered into my village Post Office where the usual lady was training a lad as Holiday cover. This lady and I have danced the dance before and so I don't usually get asked awkward questions now but today she was back to the rule book.

" Now you have to ask him what's in the parcel"

"Nothing on the restricted or prohibited list" says I ( well rehearsed)

"I have to ask you what it is!"

" No you don't. You can't ask me that but you need to know it's not restricted or prohibited"

"I need to know what it is"

"Ok. It's a Sex Aid"

"Is it powered by lithium batteries"

"No, by fairy dust"

"That will be £3.90, second class recorded"

"Thank you very much"

By which point there were people around me almost incontinent with laughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Brilliant - our post office lady points to a board and asks "is it anything on the list"?

On the list is a picture of a knife with the word "weapons" underneath it.

Fortunately all my knives are tools.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
SO you lied it is on the restricted list :)

Fallkniven S1 Forrest Knife - it's a Bushcraft Tool - not a weapon!

A flick knife, gravity knife or a Ballisong is a weapon by legal definition.

Just about anything can be used as a weapon in fairness.

From PO Website.
Sharp objects
Sharp objects like knives, kitchen utensils and gardening tools may only be posted if they are packaged appropriately so that they are no risk to employees, other postal items or recipients.
Wrap heavy cardboard around sharp edges and points, strong enough to ensure that the contents do not pierce the outer packaging. Wrap each item with cushioning material. Place in a suitable outer container such as a padded envelope. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm fed up of them asking, so I normally make something up like 'analytical neutron converter' They look at me confused before asking if I've taken the batteries out. You can't win.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
The sex aid comment wouldn't get an eyelid raised round here, the fairy dust comment most definitely would :) lol

Are human cremation ashes on the list? Would love to look the PO person straight in the eye and say "it's my mum....we grilled her yesterday and now she's off on that world tour she always wanted to go on"! ;)

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Posting knives is becoming a pain! (especially abroad). The lady in our local P.O. knows me now, so we just call it a wood carving tool, but she is retiring soon and the P.O. is closing down, so I will have to go elsewhere, a bigger one in town, which wont be as friendly, so the sex aid thing I will bear in mind.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
That made me chuckle.

I've had some interesting conversations from the post office when doing group buys. Especially as I insist on buying stamps, and putting them on the boxes rather than using the labels[1]

I just use "Camping equipment" as the catch all for pretty much everything I post. I will bear your story in mind next time I have trouble tho.

Am annoyed that you can't post CR2032 batteries through the post. Makes including a couple in a resupply parcel a right pain in the bit you sit on. Even tho there are ebay sellers who ignore that and post them to you anyway. So it disadvantages the honest user. Bah.

Julia

[1] Call me old fashioned, but I just prefer to use stamps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE