What's Happening to me

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
I recently joined this excellent forum and something is happing to me :?:

I now smell of wood smoke, I have made a hobo stove, I walk round cheap stores looking for stainless steel containers etc and look at web sites about knives and what's the best method for sharpening.

All my kit is being looked at to make sure it can be used for more than one purpose.

Do I have a problem or is this normal :newbie: ?

What a great site

JFW

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
You have Bushcraftitis - also known as Mears' Syndrome.

Susceptible individuals typically have an interest in the outdoors, and contract the disease following exposure to another sufferer.

Symptoms include bald patches on the forearms (alopecia isitsharpenoughyet), multiple midgie bites and an uncontollable desire to acquire 'kit'. They then carry all this 'kit' for miles into the woods, and then spend their time learning to manage without it.

Occasionally it is fatal:

http://outside.away.com/magazine/0193/9301fdea.html

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
quite normal :) Next you will be spending longer and longer time outdoors.... disappearing for days/weeks on end.... taking time off work to go and do courses.... In a few years you'll be saving like mad for your own farm or piece of woodland......

:rolmao:
Ed

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I went to a british pub over here called THE GREEN MAN. My friends were inside, admiring the large poster of a Spitfire, the larger posterior of the cockney hostess and consuming large quantities of ALE and watching rugby on the tellie. I meanwhile, was standing outside talking animatedly to the Greenman's portrait about mushrooms, knives and hidden places. :shock:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I've got that right now! :-D Thanks for the diagnosis Doc! :lol:

Doc said:
Symptoms include bald patches on the forearms (alopecia isitsharpenoughyet),

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Doc said:
alopecia isitsharpenoughyet

:rolmao: Thanks Doc! It's good to find a proper name for this. I'm always teasing Adi007 about his 'bushman-pattern baldness'! :wink:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
horror! got dragged into "we're a man down for doubles" at badminton tonight, can't play for toffee but i have a badminton bat, so i donned my sporting shorts and displayed bald patches on calves! is this a symptom of the same condition? or is it something different?

jfw, sounds perfectly normal to me! welcome aboard.

cheers, and.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I haven't got around to shaving my legs yet! Plenty of hair on my arms and face! That's sounds like a really bad case of alopecia isitsharpenoughyet!!! :biggthump

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Doc, I've got this friend..... and he says he's worried because a walk that used to take an hour, at a good pace, now takes at least three because there's plants to ID, and tracks to check out, and trees to figure out and sometimes you just have to stop and listen, or other times you.. err I mean he, finds that he's walked over to a particular patch of dead grass which looks like it's been getting the sun and would make good tinder, all without being conscious of it of course.

There's lots of other stuff like that happening to m.. err him, has he got it bad?

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
yes well, been experimenting with chamois leather on a mouse mat as a sharpening medium, i think it should come after the T-cut on the inside of a cornflake box......

cheers, and.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Thanks.

You guys all seem pretty normal to me. :wink:
The guys in the office all think I'm some kind of knife wielding nutter :eek:T: who trashes perfectly good (and cheap) kitchen equipment over a homemade hobo stove. :bu:

Thanks for making me feel so welcome.
:uu:

JFW

D

Duncs

Great to find this site - been a closet bushcrafter for years so it's good to find a like minded community. Friends have always thought me strange in wanting to enjoy the outdoors in such a simple way. I did manage to persuade my wife last year that our honeymoon really should be spent in Canada's great wild places - canoeing and camping wild - excellent! :-D

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I did manage to persuade my wife last year that our honeymoon really should be spent in Canada's great wild places - canoeing and camping wild - excellent!
And she said 'Yes'!!! Wow you are a lucky man to have found her. My other half is into bushcraft but would still prefer a nice sunny beach (preferably somewhere tropical) than the cold wilds of Canada.

:)
Ed

D

Duncs

Admittedly there was some time in hotels either end of the canoe trip...and it's costing me the holiday to a sunny beach too! It all nearly ended in tears: axe injury, driven to hospital by a guy with one arm (I'm not making this up either), stitches, a month on crutches :oops: Thankfully it didn't happen when we were a looooong way from anywhere - that would have been a Readers Digest story and a half! The biggest battle has been sneaking my axe out since when I go camping!! :eek:T:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE