Whatever happened to Stewart Marsh??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
Good Evening guys,

I have one of Stewart's knives, its a lovely piece of work and a pleasure to use. I thought i would have a look and see what he was upto in terms of making blades and can't find anything recent about work that he's done.

Is he still making knives?

On a slightly different note.. Has anyone polished their blade? I'd like to achieve a mirror finish almost on the blade, and it is almost mirror finished where it has been sharpened and stropped.. I wondered if there was a paste or compound that i could use to achieve this?

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Fantastic knives. I know he did stop, then start and stop again, due to ill health. I hope he is back, because he is one skilled knife maker.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
On a slightly different note.. Has anyone polished their blade? I'd like to achieve a mirror finish almost on the blade, and it is almost mirror finished where it has been sharpened and stropped.. I wondered if there was a paste or compound that i could use to achieve this?

Google or search Amazon for smurf poo... sounds gross I know , but it does work apparently. Especially with a buffing wheel...

Endlessgreen - BLUE Buffing compound bar / Honing paste bar - Smurf Poo - for metal polishing - 110g

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0134965C0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_gddHxbQG29BPY

Or

Buffing wheel + smurf poo bar

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141712079494

Hope it helps

Mar 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
Cheers Leshy, I use surf poo on my stropping board, which does get a really good finish, but i could do with something between the water stone and the surf poo to remove some of the fine tooling marks in the blade before polishing with the surf poo.. Maybe as you say, using the surf poo with a buffing wheel may be the way forward?

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Cheers Leshy, I use surf poo on my stropping board, which does get a really good finish, but i could do with something between the water stone and the surf poo to remove some of the fine tooling marks in the blade before polishing with the surf poo.. Maybe as you say, using the surf poo with a buffing wheel may be the way forward?
I'm only giving advice based on what I was told by Mick91 on the forum, when he made my knife...
I was even given an attachment for the buffing wheel but I'm still to use it.
So can't comment on the results...
He also suggested using TCut for getting a mirror finish...

For my chisels I just use wet and dry sandpaper glued to MDF or lapping glass plate when they need trueing.

For my knives, until now , I've used the Japanese Whetstone up to 6000 and nagura. for finishing use a leather belt as a strop and my results are plenty good enough for my needs.

I'd suggest asking Mick and/or other knife makers on the forum as they should put you in the right direction...
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
ATB

Mar 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
Leshy, Thanks for that, its more than helpful.. I use unto 6000 grit whetstone, but i find that because the bad isn't completely flat, when you grind the sides of the knife, the stone makes contact at the top and where the grind starts, leaving a bit in the middle untouched. If i were that bothered, i could keep using the 1000 side until i get witness marks all the way across. The leather strop and smurf poo leaves the grind with an almost mirror finish though and razor sharp. It's a lovely knife to use.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
...leaving a bit in the middle untouched. If i were that bothered, i could keep using the 1000 side until i get witness marks all the way across.

If you were to go down that route, I wouldn't bother doing it with the 1000 grit side ... It will wear it down, and it will take forever.
Use some 240 or even 120 grit wet and dry sandpaper wetted on to something true and flat , like a lapping plate.
Followed by some 600 grit ( optional) to soften the scratches...

Then when you got the marks all the way , use the 1000 grit Whetstone to get rid of the lines...
Save you time , stone and a lot of effort...

Hope it helps buddy

ATB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE