What would you look for in a good fly wallet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Going to knock one up out of leather and sheepskin but not an experienced fly fisherman. What would you look for in one. Just something to hold flies. Or space for extras?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Just for flies for me, but amadou is used to dry flies so another compartment with a nice sheet would be great.

Hope this helps :).

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I think you should have a space for a few pre-made casts with flies ready attached for a quick change over.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i did one some time ago, i made all the stitching holes in the leather, glued the sheepskin in place and then stitched around the edge....absolute sod that took Ages because you can't see the holes in the leather through the sheepskin

whats your plan ?

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
i did one some time ago, i made all the stitching holes in the leather, glued the sheepskin in place and then stitched around the edge....absolute sod that took Ages because you can't see the holes in the leather through the sheepskin

whats your plan ?

Sheepskin sandwich. Cut out window. Leather frame. Leather back.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Nothing to offer in the way of suggestions. Although I quite fancy a sheepskin fly wallet.
[The dogs just ripped up a load of wool from a sheepskin rug. The little :censored: Wonder if i could use that?]

I've gone all high tech My two fly fishing boxes at the moment are the superslim magnetic ones from orvis, for shirt pockets. About as thin as an android phone. One with compartments, the other with foam hook inserts

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product.aspx?pf_id=4y61

Were all guilty of taking way too many flies.

And on a summers afternoon/evening on the wharfe, I can slip everything i need into the pockets of a 5.11 shirt quite comfortably. And have a pocket on the chesties, or can get it all in the shirt, just using the thigh waders.

Tippet, snips, forceps, floatant, sinkant etc etc, I C&R without a net if just using the shirt.

If i need to take more I use a vision chestpack.

I've neglected my fly fishing/tying over the last six months. :slap: Mainly because of the pup. It would be nice to find a club where I could take the dog, who would sit quietly, at the riverside.

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Ok so here's a prototype I boshed together tonight from some scraps.

It's a little on the rustic side, like a fly fishers compact.

y9umujad.jpg

aqe8aqat.jpg

Apologies for the bad lighting. Any drawbacks to this design? The fastener is a bit fiddle and I think if I was doing a proper job I may put a press stud fastener on, plus maybe some "walls" to stop things falling out.

Main purpose of the exercise was to see if my idea for the sheepskin worked. Which it did!

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I don't use a wallet myself preferring a small box, but thats just personal choice. The above look good and I'd rather fancy the wooly side of sheepskin to work well for keeping and releasing ones flees, without affecting future keeping properties of the retaining material, unwoven wool I'd think perfect.

I've different boxes for different flys used for different types of fishing and situations, running water, still water, sea trout brown trout salmon etc. So it depends where I'm headed as to what I'll take. I don't think one can have too many flys if one limits one's self to a single small box or wallet, perhaps two, eg wets and drys. If one finds oneself with the wrong flys one learns and adjusts the selection accordingly.

I think sea trout fly fishing is about the most minimalist of my fishing when it comes to fly selection. Even then the minimum number I'd consider viable for an hour or two would be; one for the bank, one for a tree (sometimes two depending on the spot), one for the submerged snag (remember to recover the mono) one to blunt and a couple to get roughed up by trout teeth. Then a duplicate number in a different pattern (depending on light conditions, dark dawn dusk dull bright etc, or water levels and water colour if daytime fishing a spate). So, around 12 in total for fishing known bits. That said, I'm usually not far from the car when doing this type of fishing so I can always nip back for a top up or different patterns if I've miscalculated conditions ;)

Casts (tippet for those in the south) I carry on the spool in my pocket and make them up as required. Sod's law dictates; if you pre make a cast it'll be the wrong one! Better to take bare mono and make them up as required, unless I'm fishing in the dark.

So, I personally have a need for a few small boxes/wallets to keep different selections in, doesn't mean I need to carry them all all the time.

Last edited:

Fjord

Dec 28, 2013
Bolton
Looks lovely. I'm a part time fly-fisher and would adore one of these. I know the other was a prototype but I think one with a fly area the size of a paperback would be great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE