What would you have done with the rat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
We have a bin in our carport to encourage us to clean the mountains of crap out of our cars once in a while.

This evening when we got home, we heard a rustling in the bin. Closer investigation saw a rat that had fallen in and couldn't get out.

I fetched an air rifle and with a friend holding a torch, I killed it but trying to hit a panicking rat meant that the first shot wasn't in the best place (but injured it enough to allow me a point blank headshot, with another one to make sure).

I don't particularly like rats but still feel a bit bad about killing it (like shooting fish in a barrel!). How would you have dealt with it?

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I've killed rats, they are destructive and may carry several different diseases that can affect humans. Same for mice that come inside, they are effectively incontinent and leave urine wherever they go.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I would have shot it, they are an enormous disease vector. Although you didn't get an instant kill, it was quicker than most natural deaths from disease or injury and far quicker than poison. Don't sweat it.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
How would you have dealt with it?

59341.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I despatched a rabbit in a cage trap with a 410 I have to hand recently. Bad move, really, really bad move :(

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I despatched a rabbit in a cage trap with a 410 I have to hand recently. Bad move, really, really bad move :(
It couldn't have been worse than my dad dealing with two dugites down a well (dugites = poisonous snake). They were swimming around in the well - which was about 8ft deep and 6ft square. We needed to get down into it to clear sludge from the outake.

Dad decided to use his 12gauge and that he'd only get one shot to hit both. So he leaned over the well, waited for the snakes to swim across each other and fired both barrels. Bloody water and chunks of snake fountained back into his face.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I suppose it's a good job I had an air rifle handy - didn't feel too sporting but at least I can use the bin/carport afterwards (the lad I was with suggested petrol, although I hope he was joking)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
As my dad was someone who had survived Weil's disease I was brought up to understand the only good rat is a dead rat. I don't even think it should be legal to keep them as pets.

Dave

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Could've tried the old poachers trick of sleeping tablets crushed into raisins to put it out first allowing a clean shot but on the whole I think you did right just to shoot it. They do carry nasty diseases and may jump at you when cornered - fear can give them springs!

I would've done the same as you. It was a quick death.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE