What would you ask early man?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I am reading Stephen Oppenheimer's excellent book 'The real Eve-Out of Africa' about the migration by early mankind from Africa to the rest of the world.

He writes, from the mtDNA perspective, about small relic populations left along the Indian Ocean rim while the main groups went on to colonise the Pacific, Asia, Australia and Europe. Their genes are closest to the first migrants.

Fortunately, they have been comparatively ignored compared to more "charismatic" groups of hunter-gatherers such as the Penan even though they are far older communities. Better still, they are more in a state of nature and have been spared the the concern of do-gooders.

It occurred to me that I could contact these groups and look at their bushcraft and thought of seeking your advice.

What do you think I should ask/do etc.??

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
What is the time?

I reckon you would learn a lot by how pre industrial society measures the time of day.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
What do you worry about?Is it where your next meal is coming from or how are you going to meet the mortgage payments~?

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
What's the meaning of life? Why are we here? What's the secret to happiness?

I suspect he'd have a better idea about that sort of question than anyone around these days...

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I am the first 'eco-tourist' can you start making some of your craftwares to sell to me and those that will follow? It will provide you with money so you don't have to live like this any more and will enable you to get TV, internet, alcohol, Man united teeshirts,proper schools and all the other stuff I have and you dont need. YET.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Will you tell me of your life ? And the stories and songs of your elders ?

Everything else comes and goes, but stories get lost :sigh:

Stuart said that Anthropologists didn't want to talk with him, I think they think his data is scewed because it doesn't fit their research viewpoints. If you do do this, please write the books, publish the journeys, that way when Anthropology goes through a sea change (and it will ) the information is still available regardless of their non involvement.

atb,
M

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Fortunately, they have been comparatively ignored compared to more "charismatic" groups of hunter-gatherers such as the Penan even though they are far older communities. Better still, they are more in a state of nature and have been spared the the concern of do-gooders.
Until now.

It occurred to me that I could contact these groups and look at their bushcraft and thought of seeking your advice.

Dont go there.

ethics (Noun, pl)
1. a code of behaviour, esp. of a particular group, profession, or individual: business ethics
2. the moral fitness of a decision, course of action, etc.

Last edited:

BOD

J**** C****t!

I guess I walked straight into it.

What I meant was what aspects of their bushcraft would be interesting.

I certainly won't be eco-touristing or trying to make a profit out of their craft. Hate that sort of thing.

They are already studied by anthropologists who look into concepts of property, social structure cosmology etc.

Social scientists seldom concern themselves with the details of the technologies.

But hats off to BB for suggesting that I leave them alone.

NikDarkwood

Sep 2, 2009
Hampshire
Hmmm let me see.... ok

If your so clever how come your all dead by the time your 30yrs old?

Or how come you dont gag eating some of that stuff?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay then, how about their foraging techniques ? Cordage making and materials selection are always goodies :)

By publish I meant write it up, widen the range of their story so that survival is more likely, not that you'd rip them off.

cheers,
Toddy

BOD

Okay then, how about their foraging techniques ? Cordage making and materials selection are always goodies :)

By publish I meant write it up, widen the range of their story so that survival is more likely, not that you'd rip them off.

cheers,
Toddy

I never thought you would suggest to rip them off Toddy.!

I was thinking their bushcraft and crafts would be closer to what early humans practiced.

Of course much would be familiar to many bushcrafters but there may be little details that anthropologists miss but a bushcrafter might pick up - like the practice of splitting the end of a log before putting it in a fire as Buckshot and Moduser noticed in Borneo or why a hunter-gatherer has a horizontally sheathed golok when coastal peoples carry them vertically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semang

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The Japanese have a word for the little tips and tricks of everyday life. They call these Urawaza, and it includes everything from how to clear a stuffed up nose to how to encourage a fire to burn with unlikely materials.
I think a study of the Urawaza of those coastal peoples would be fascinating :D

cheers,
Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You will have to learn about their languages, these sort of people have very complex language, we cannot compete with them in that aspect

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Might sound daft but I'd be interested in the gestures they use as well as their language, do they nod affirmative and shake their head as a negative and so on.

That gives a clue as to what's kind of instinct and what's cultural if you get my drift.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE