What wood is this please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
I was recently given two pieces of wood from a friend of a friend who had apparently had them both for 20 odd years and always planned on doing something with them. Anyway he heard, through my friend, that I had recently acquired a lathe (my friend is very excited by this and it seems is telling everyone she meets!) and donated them to me through her. This was a lovely gesture that really touched me. So now I have these bits, but I don't know what wood they are or what to do with them.

The first I think is Eucalyptus maybe? The bark is quite flaky and not as black as it appears in the first photo, it's quite reddish brown like in the second pic. I think I'll whittle something from this rather than turn it, but I'm not sure what its shape lends itself to. Any suggestions?

The second piece is really quite lovely, obviously it's spalted something, but I'm afraid my wood ID skills are quite lacking! :(

the £1 is there just for scale. This is definitely going to get turned. I think I'll try making it into a trinket box for my wife. I will however wait a LONG time before I attempt this!! My skills need building first before I ruin such a nice piece of wood. It's covered in wax, does this matter for anything?

Sorry for all the questions,

Jim

Mr.punch

Forager
Oct 15, 2012
somerset/devon border
The first piece looks like eucalyptus if it is good luck whittling it as it is very hard even when green. the other piece is spalted beech and will make a lovely box good luck with them.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
I wanted for some reason to say that the first one is Yew - then thought Arbutus - though not that I know. But not sure about either because of the photos - no criticism intended but I'd have more of a chance in person - what's the grain like?

Has the 2nd one been varnished? That's not helped me either - maybe beech like folks've said.

Mind you, have been slightly put off sensible thought by someone with your moniker posting a wood ID thread. It's tickled me.

(I'll get me coat)

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Wowsers! thanks for all the quick replies folks, I'm going to go with my hunch of eucalyptus for the first one, unfortunately Hemlock it's so dry it doesn't smell of much other than old cupboards!

Beech is a good shout for the second I think, thanks for that.

Blundstoned Love: haha!! you've got me there! My handle is more about the fact that I spent all my time in trees as a kid and still love being among them whenever I can. Strangely I never actually learned much about them beyond basic ID'ing but most of that for me is done by leaf type, bark, and size and shape of the whole tree. Individual bits of cut wood I'm not much good with. I hope to become more of a proper woodsman in terms of working woods and crafting in future years though.

Jim

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Looks like yew to me.

I have a bunch of it seasoned in my back yard.

Eucalyptus is prone to splintering if you cut the wrong direction ('lifting' the grain). Yew is amazingly hard and doesn't particularly have a preferred 'cutting' direction. Doesn't splinter.

Blood

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2014
Fflint
Yew possibly. On the cut ends where you can see the exposed growth rings, give it a going over with sandpaper or a rasp, if you can see a definitive colour change outside in going from pale cambium, slightly dark growth wood and a deep yellow or even orange heart wood, then yew is very likely. Please bear in mind the nasty dust from yew!!

Spalted beech for the second :)

Great pieces and thanks for pics

Parbajtor

Maker
Feb 5, 2014
Surbiton
www.tanczos.co.uk
Yew possibly. On the cut ends where you can see the exposed growth rings, give it a going over with sandpaper or a rasp, if you can see a definitive colour change outside in going from pale cambium, slightly dark growth wood and a deep yellow or even orange heart wood, then yew is very likely. Please bear in mind the nasty dust from yew!!

Spalted beech for the second :)

Great pieces and thanks for pics

The bark looks about right for Yew, but the bi-colour "dark heartwood" might just be from the knot. A picture of the cut end would help.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
here's some pics of the end grain. First the round end with and without flash:

and the cut end:

the dark heartwood would imply it's a piece of Yew then I guess. Thanks for all your help folks, this is a lovely forum to be a part of! :You_Rock_

Jim

Blood

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2014
Fflint
Very nice piece that, what's your plans Jim?
How far up the Wirral are you? I grew up in Wallasey, finally found where I'm meant to be now in Fflint

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Thanks Blood, I'm just outside Birkenhead, technically oxton, but we're not in oxton village (not posh enough for that!)

Mafro, good point about the woodworm! :)

Jim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE