What will i make from cherry burr

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
My mate is an Arborist and has just gave me a couple of big pieces of cherry burr ,what would you use this for and how hard is it to work?

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Cherry is lovely to work with. I've made bowls in the past from it and the grain polishes up a treat. It can be light sensitive - i.e. darkens very quickly when bare wood is exposed to sunlight.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bowls, bookends, knife, pen, letteropener handles. Lace bobbins, hair picks, clockfaces.

Just what I can see around me from wood :D

cheers,
Mary

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Do i need to prep it in any way beforehand ,stabalise it ie for knife handles.And do i let it dry first.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Do i need to prep it in any way beforehand ,stabalise it ie for knife handles.And do i let it dry first.

Do you have photos? Cherry does not normally produce proper burrs, more commonly bulgy bits where the grain follows round the bark rather than the pippy mass of epicormic buds that are a real burr. How you deal with it depends on what it looks like.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Do you have photos? Cherry does not normally produce proper burrs, more commonly bulgy bits where the grain follows round the bark rather than the pippy mass of epicormic buds that are a real burr. How you deal with it depends on what it looks like.

I have found quite a lot of cherry trees near me with root/buttress burrs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE