What was this British Series?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
I caught a snippet of a British TV series yesterday.

There was a guy (30s dark hair, wide brimmed hat) and a lady companion (she seemed to be the "novice").

First they used a ferret to flush out some rabbits from their burrows (trapping them in nets), the lady learned how to break the rabbit's neck between two fingers, the guy skinned it, then she made a stew and made a meal (included some hedgerow sorrel I think). The guy made a small fire and a basic shelter using tree bows (we would call it "kota" here, a teepee shape).

They then took part in some heather burning on a moor somewhere, before shooting some grouse and making another meal in a small stone outhouse on the moor. The land was owned by some lord or "sir" type.

I scanned the Finnish TV listings for yesterday, but couldn't find anything that remotely described this interesting programme. I would like to find a DVD or something of the series.

Does my description ring any bells for anyone?

EDIT to add: they had a lovely black labrador too!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
The TV series was quite poor - watchable but 'forced'.

The book, on the other hand, was excellent, and certainly worth a look.

I don't know if they did a DVD or video - I haven't seen it anywhere.

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
Isn't there something similar starting in the next week or so, minds gone blank now, but I remember thinking I had to watch it and see if it's any good....

Anyone know what I'm talking about? :(

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I agree. i thought that the book is superb and has some lovely recipes in it that are all relatively simple to follow too!

Dan

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
The Wild Gourmets.

The bloke is Guy Grieve, who spent time in the Alaskan Wilderness and wrote a book about it called "Call of the Wild"

The girl is Tommi Miers, who won the Masterchef TV series.

A similar (and infinitely more watchable) series was Hugh Fearnley Whittingstalls "A Cook on the Wild Side" - his first series, easily available on Digital VD

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
yes , the wild gourmets was on channel 4. i got the book ,- its a mix of outdoorsy/camping /advice with an american style wilderness approach- open fires , heavy canvas tent (with stove and chimney!) foraging techniques and hunting. plus recipes.not a bad read if you like that kind of stuff. His approach reminds me of camping with Scouts in the seventies and eighties toilet pits for latrines, cooking over fires etc (but no guns) and indeed he references baden powell amongst others. in the ray mears/bear grylls genre.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE