What vehicle thread?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Owning and driving a Defender is a kind of masochistic experience.

After driving one for a while, when I go back to one of my more civilized cars, I say 'aaaaahhhhhhh......'

Depends where you drive I suppose. My alfa bumps and scrapes along country lanes that seem like smooth tarmac to the Landy. I find it hard to decide which car to take these days.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
New shocks needed?

Alfa R used to make wonderful cars.
The 75 3.0 I had was a driver dream. The Spider S4 wonderful.
I even made money on the Spider, sold it for considerably more that I gave when I bought it new 8 years previously..

I regret selling a couple of cars, the Spider is one of them.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Suspension is fine, I think it's the plastic undertrays that are sitting too low. This one is a Brera, I've wanted one for ages but it doesn't suit my lifestyle at the moment sadly.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
There are many cars I regret not buying, and the Alfa 8C is one of the biggest regrets.

The Brera is a beautiful car. One thing the 'talians excel at, and it is visual design.

Check out the Ferrari 575M Maranello. Sex on wheels! That one should have been sent out into space for Aliens to admire, instead of that sorry excuse for a car called Tesla.
Thank Gods they failed sending it off.
(Hermes the God made sure the mission failed.)

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Hmmm! How much for a specced out defender? You can buy a cheap car second-hand and will be more likely to get good handling than any defender bought for similar money. I doubt very much that you'll get close to the handling and comfort of normal cars priced at the same as the comfortable specced out defenders claimed to exist. It would be interesting to/ visit a dealership to test ride a modern defender. Kentdale land rover dealership might get a visit one day from me. Although I doubt I'd have the front to go for a test drive knowing I'll never get one.

Mind you my only real experience of defenders is my dad's work supplied ones from maybe 30 years ago. As a senior consultant on big sites he got given top spec double cab defenders by the contractors. They had heating!!!!!! Apart from them I got a lift from a couple defender owning mates about 15 to 20 years ago. One was modern the other ex military mark 1 or 2 land rover. Both were not something I could cope with on longer journeys. One of them used to turn up to winter kayaking trips and take off a few layers when he stopped. He was warmer standing around outside than sat driving his defender in winter. Useless heating and possibly vented to the outside. Never understood why he had it. Only a half owner with his mate too.

I really do love them but they're not a personal , road use family.vehicle unless you're into choosing them for other reasons. They're a look. They're an image. They're for off roading. They're for farm use. They're niche.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
No, Defender owners do those things because the vehicles are designed to be simple to be servised and fixed.
No special tools, no sensors that need dedicated computers.
Parts that are cheap and widely available.

That might have been true up to the demise of the Tdi engined Defenders in 1998 but the need to meet ever tightening emissions regs has meant that the TD5 (1999 - 2006) and Tdci ((2007 - 2016) engined Defenders had increasing amounts of electrickery managing their engines and brakes and require hooking up to diagnostic computers to service and maintain and won’t run on rough grade diesel. All the inherent flaws of a Defender plus the problems of electrickery goes wrong - IIRC a single injector for a TD5 costs more than a whole set for a Tdi.

I would happily head off to just about any point on the globe in my Tdi 110, but from what I have seen and read about the Transit engines in the Tdci Defenders, I would choose another marque.

Not my idea of fun. My idea of fun involves driving a car that's reliable and easily fixed by letting it reside at a local garage for a day in.exchange for money. While I'm out doing something enjoyable with my time.

I do find it funny how defender drivers love fixing their cars so much. Is it something you have in you before you buy your first defender or something you learn to love as a result of having to do it to keep your defender on the road without blowing shedloads of money at a garage?

Working on Defenders is just like working on 1960s British cars (I started with old Austins and Triumphs) only the bits are bigger and diesel stuff just works until in doesn’t when it’s usually necessary to get a grown-up to look at it!

They are very capable and practical vehicles if you accept their many flaws and limitations - lack of investment by a succession of owners meant that the styling remained the same for decades and eventually acquired iconic status which has lead to a cult following amongst those who like the idea of having a Defender as a lifestyle accessory rather than having a real need for one.

My 110 was my home for 3 years and served as a mobile workshop, generator, fire engine, paddy wagon, patrol vehicle etc. etc. in the bush and covered over 70,000 miles in Africa and the Middle East with only the odd issue (well quite a few!), none of which couldn’t be fixed by the roadside or when it got (under its own steam) to a workshop. I like to think that Maurice Wilks (designer of the original Land-Rover) would approve of the use I have made of his offspring (there were a handful of alternatives but I am happy with my choice), but back now in the UK, even though I now live in a rural and hilly part of Wales and occasionally drag an Ifor Williams trailer behind it, I cannot honestly say that I need a 110 or that it is the most suitable vehicle for my current needs.

Maybe those on this thread who keep recommending a Defender to you really do have a genuine need for a bulky, uncomfortable, slow vehicle albeit one with outstanding off-road and towing capabilities and make use of its potential but apart for the dwindling number being driven by the military, utility company employees, farmers, tree surgeons etc in the UK (Land Rover long ceased to be a serious competitor to Toyota in Africa and elsewhere in the third world), most people driving Defenders do so because they like the image, even if it is just to tow little Chlamydia’s pony to a gymkana twice a year.

I won’t sell mine (too many fond memories and the potential for future adventures), but I almost certainly wouldn’t buy one if I didn’t already have one.

The reality is that between 70 and 80% of all Defenders ever made are still on the road (apparently)

This is an urban myth (my Defender has bits from at least ten scrap vehicles on it so do the maths!), although Toyota Land Cruiser owners the world over like to quote it adding “... but the other X% made it home safely!”

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I had a heavily modified TD5. Yes, engine was computerized, but a remapping sorted out some factory inbuilt issues.
Toured Scandinavia for 2 months, we went everywhere.
Loved it, sold by mistake.
Still around East Sussex.
Look out for a maroon TD5 with the number plate P 11 LTR.

Should have taken it with me.
If I can I will remap the engine on the one I have now, but first I need to finish the G wagen, then change the body configuration on the Defender. Then comes the fun work...

I aim for the coolest Defender on Island....

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm having a hard time imagining any vehicle sold since the 1990s without ABS.

I loved my Jeep but it and most trucks (and I suspect the Landrover) will always be noisy at highway speed. You just can't get away from the wind noise of a big, squared vehicle. It's not a big deal getting groceries but it's extremely tiring on long trips.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The GMC Suburban is the longest running vehicle brand there is.
I would never recommend it as a daily driver unless you have the business.
Or you have the wealth and have a need to make a statement.

I can afford it because it is old (1997), I'm retired, the village is very small and I have no reason to drive every day.
The 454 is a pig for gas. The engine torque, even in 4x4, is a very soft pedal in wet snow conditions.
But, every option in the vehicle works like new except the a/c.
The one single feature that I like the most? The tail gate heater with separate controls.

Most of the SUV models that you BCUK people mention, we've never heard of.
So I Google to see what you have to pick from.
Looks like a great selection ( at half the size) to me.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Nomad, I will google Maurice Wilks tonight.

Robson V, yes, Europe is lucky to have an excellent selection of personal vehicles.
But, cars are expensive compared to North America. Do not even think of buying a US car there. Hugely overpriced, and the cost of petrol will ruin you.

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
Maybe those on this thread who keep recommending a Defender to you really do have a genuine need for a bulky, uncomfortable, slow vehicle

I don't need one! I've got one because I think they look cool! It's a fun thing to own though, and works well with the family. I'm not sure what is the right car for my needs but it's probably quite dull by comparison.

Reactions: Broch and Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
My wife helped many mums in their ditch stranded 4x4's around the prep school our son went to in Five Ashes..
Including Range Rovers.
She drove an ex MOD 90 2.5 D with all terrain tyres. Most people with off road capable 4x4's have very nice tarmacadam tyres on, which defies the purpose of a 4x4, imho....

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Suburban is General Motors. I drive a 1997 2500 LSE model with the big fat red GMC logo in the grill.
For some reason, we have both Chev and GMC Suburbans here.
Or at least we did until recently. Story is that Chev rebadged their version

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I don't need one! I've got one because I think they look cool! It's a fun thing to own though, and works well with the family. I'm not sure what is the right car for my needs but it's probably quite dull by comparison.

I understand that mid 1990s GMC Suburbans come highly recommended! ;)

My wife helped many mums in their ditch stranded 4x4's around the prep school our son went to in Five Ashes..
She drove an ex MOD 90 2.5 D ...

Ah the infamous Five Ashes school run - AFAIK, Kingsley Holgate never quite had the cojones to attempt that! ;)

I'm sure the urban Toyota drivers do :) ; however, as I have twice recovered a Land Cruiser with a Defender from the Saharan desert I can quietly laugh to myself :)

I’ve used my 110 to retrieve all kinds of 4WD and 2WD vehicles from all kinds of scenery but it doesn’t really prove anything - the right tyres is usually more of a factor than vehicle type.

Sadly in Africa you will now struggle find a Land Rover dealer in anything other than the biggest cities (some countries have none at all) whereas Toyota franchises are popping up in quite modest rural towns and Chinese brands like GWM have more of a presence than the green oval.

With the end of the Tdi engined Defenders, Land Rover had nothing to compete with the rugged and electrickery free 70 series Land Cruisers which have almost completely replaced Defenders as the light utility workhorse of choice for farmers, NGOs, military etc. A Defender is nicer to drive but I would take a 70 series Land Cruiser over a TD5 or Tdci Defender if I was going anywhere serious.

I sense that my priorities when choosing a vehicle are a little different to most other contributors and as the OP did not include looking cool or crossing the Sahara (let alone attemting the Five Ashes schoolrun), I’ll bow out and hope he is happy with his GMC Suburban! ;)

Reactions: Broch and Janne

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Decades ago someone I knew had a brand new, top of the range Mitsubishi shogun (pajero) that got stuck on a beach with the sea lapping around it's tyres. The owner called the local Mitsubishi dealership for help. They came out with the landrover defender they keep hidden round the back for such.emergency calls. It drove up the Mitsubishi 4x4 fastened its super.duper winch cable without getting his feet wet an drove off the beach, out of the sea, towing the other brand like it wasn't there.

There's the top gear test of proper 4x4 at that family estate of the eccentric noble with the zoo. Steep, muddy hill that they all drove up in one line. Virgin grass slope so one take only. Every car struggled including the latest version of the discovery (subject of the main test). Then the estate manager took the p1$$ by overtaking them all, in shot, driving an old mark 2 land rover with basic, skinny tyres too.

Very good. It does a job there. Not my need. I need a car you can cruise easily and quietly on a motorway carrying a load and family. One that has climate control, decent stereo, cruise control, comfortable seats, practicality, reliability, etc. All as standard and without modding. I think the land rover has really only had tweaks for decades such as engine changes, but basically is the same vehicle I've been in decades ago. It was not a great drive on the road, motorway and winding country road back then and I'll be surprised if it is now.

I think anyone recommending land rover as a family car for day to day use will almost certainly be a fan. They're a smaller version of the apple/iphone fanbois. Completely un-accepting of opposing views or arguments. That's how it feels on a few car threads I've started here. It always becomes a land rovers are great thread. Great for you is the answer but you will be a niche user.

Another point I'd make is that I've been noticing round here and other parts of the country too that land rover is quietly being replaced as farmer's vehicles by other options. Other 4x4s and pickups are increasingly being chosen by farmers.

Reactions: Nomad64

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE