What vehicle thread?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
OK I've started a few threads over the last year about various types of vehicles. As a family we've considered campervans, vans to convert and cars. We've gone from wanting one type of vehicle to another and on to another not really knowing what's best for us.

So right now I'm looking for ideas.

We need a vehicle that can carry kit ranging from camping to cycles (ones a recumbent which is creating issues because a bike roof rack doesn't work and it fills our car levels. Must have two front seats and a second row. There's three of us but a van with three seats won't suit.

So what are the options?

1. Currently a larger car (galaxy, smax or large chrysler if it's not too much).
  2. Small van with crew cab (two rows of seats and windows plus space in the back).
  3. Slightly larger van with crew cab (same seating but rear space can take bikes including longer recumbent).

Ideally the vehicle is low enough to fit in most carparks so it's fully usable as the only family vehicle.

Cost is an issue, no vw transporter is likely to sit unless you have a 5 year old mint vw transporter in good nick that you're willing to sell for way below market price! If you do please pm me the details.

So any ideas?

PS my partner rules out a pickup as too macho posing.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You are allowed to slap me, but what about a Defender 110?
( I know I am like an old scratched record, repeating myself :) )

Cheap parts, easily obtained parts OEM /aftermarket, cheap to service, diy easy for an average home mechanic.

Defenders do look tatty after 15 years, but as the body is aluminium looks are deceiving.
Ultra easy to restore in the future.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Autotrader has now 43 110’s listed under 10 K

The white one for 7995 looks sweet. Add seats to the back, rubber carpets, bike rack on back or front and you are set for the next 20 years.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I know. Wife drove our offspring to school in one for years. Humanity is divided in two. Defender lovers and people who do not know they are as they never tried one!
:)

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I would defo recomend a transporter due to the fact they are much cheaper than any other vehicle to convert once you have one! The thing is there will be plenty mint transporters out there at 5 years old, consider buying a panel van cutting out the two front window panels and buy a full size rock and roll bed for the second row of seats. Buying a panel van will be much cheaper in the long run! Buying a transporter gives you more diy custom options than any other vehicle available.

Now if that doesn’t work then a caddy maxi, not as easy to customise but still a great vehicle!

Reactions: Lou

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Will bikes fit inside? Recumbents don't take to racks that well.

Trust me I've been in fairly new defenders and no. Sorry I don't want something that drives so badly on the roads.

Mind you that was nearly 30 years ago. Have they really changed so much over that time period? Have they gone from slow and rough on longer journeys to car like in 30 years without looking like they've changed?

Much more recently I guy I knew had a 50% share in a nearly new LR a few years back now (10 years I think). He struggled to reach 70mph on the motorway. Ended up getting an overdrive fitted I think he said.

Nope, LR is out but a disco would have been a more credible idea, if only they didn't have such a poor rep for the older ones you buy. A commercial dealer told a farmer friend to not touch secondhand disco for less than IIRC £10k. Too much goes wrong below that price mark. They ended up with a pickup.

Anything else?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Sorry but you can not get more options than with a Defender.
I bought one 110 about 6 months ago. 2013, zero miles, MOD overstock. Aircon!
Only 2 seats and two doors, small cab, large flatbed.
Once my G is finished I will convert it to a full body, with windows and seats in the back. I think I need 6 panels.

Yes they drive well. Try.
300TDI or newer. Bodyroll to much? Install antiroll bar in the back. All terrain tyres too noisy? Install insulating rubber interior (one piece ‘floor mat’ or get tyres for tarmac only.
Want more speed? Change gearing. Everything I mentioned is surprisingly affirdable compared.

Space for that special bike?
Fold the rear seats up, then you have the full width and length behind the front seats.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not looking to convert now, just a vehicle to use as is.

Did I not mention transporters are out for price reasons? Just double checked, panel vans cheaper but window vans more. VW transporter shuttle £21k for 2014 model. Ford Tourneo £12k.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yes once but no towbar hitch. I believe it results in a lower speed limit. Overall great for holidays where your drive somewhere and dump kit in tent. We prefer this in one vehicle. Throw it all in and go. Easy stops en route too. Besides a trailer won't take the recumbent without a rack of some sort but if we had a rack taking a recumbent it would be on the roof bars with the recumbent on it.

Reactions: Robson Valley

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Peugoet teepee or whatever the citroen clone is. I nearly bought one a while ago but I need to get rid of the Bongo first. They look a bit like invalid wagons (and a lot are converted to take wheelchairs) but are massively practical. You can remove the back seats individually to make it a van or any combo in between. The one i looked at had overhead storage lockers and underfloor storage everywhere. Sliding rear doors are useful too. One of those cars you have to go and test drive to appreciate though.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Teepee looks good as does the citreon Berlingo multispace which is the same.

There's a dacia that's a bit bigger or ford Tourneo. Think I've seen a Tourneo before. It's a little bigger than the Peugeot one. Looked very similar, the ford one I saw, but nicer than the Peugeot.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My ideal would possibly be the Toyota hiace verso model. I've seen a few photos. The executive vehicle version even comes with a table that folds down for the second row of seats.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
My ideal would possibly be the Toyota hiace verso model. I've seen a few photos. The executive vehicle version even comes with a table that folds down for the second row of seats.

I think the teepee has fold down tables in the back too. There's a good dog friendly version that has an openable window in the boot lid which caught my eye.

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
That Hi-ace looks good - however I have been told the driving experience is more van-like than a transporter, if you care about such things.
Also have you considered Hyundai i800, pretty cheap, looks like a good one, but I heard it said somewhere recently and I quote: "nobody actually WANTS a Hyundai..."
Then there's the Kangoo or Berlingo styles, very practical looking cars.

Occasionally I have a look around for cars like this during moments of temporary insanity when I think I might need something more refined or practical than my Defender.

Reactions: Janne

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We've got two now. A steel cage for home and a tent poled travel one for car use. When older we might try the seatbelt harness option for day to day use.

Although looking at a japanese import, Nissan Elgrand. £350+VAT export and other fees (plus finders fee for locating the car) and you pay japanese price for car pretty much. Reduces price by a few grand over UK dealer prices.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I have heard that because they don't use salt on the roads in Japan, they also don't apply underseal with the same degree of corrosion resistance. The advice was to get any import undersealed and waxoyled before its first UK winter.

Z

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE