What trousers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Just wondering....

Do many folks actually use expensive trousers like Rohans and Craghoppers for doing Bushcrafty type stuff, or do you think they are a bit too good/expensive for getting grubby and burn holes in them and just use cheap army combats that probably last longer and do just aswell?

What would you prefer?

Has anyone used 5.11 Tactical trousers?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
BDU combats in green. They're made from ripstop cotton and won't break the bank. You can get them pretty widely but Silvermans and Soldier of Fortune usually have them. Good pockets (and lots of them!), too.

hiroo onoda

Jan 12, 2007
cornwall
The old olive green lightweight trousers are good, but would be better if they had 2 leg pockets rather than 1. I like them best as they dry rapidly.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Although I use 5.11 shirts, I've heard bad things about 5.11 trousers, however I know that one of our number 'MagiKelly' swears by them.

Alternatives would be Sig Pants from...

http://www.kmnw.co.uk/sigarms.htm

very comfy and hard wearing.

Or Fjallraven Forester Trousers which are superb, available from http://www.raymears.com/

I wore a pair of Fjallravens for a month long trek across the Fogaras Mountains in Erdély (Transylvania), they took a huge amount of abuse and were always very comfy. The one bad design point is the button at the top of the fly which can dig into you if you are wearing a pack, easily sorted by removing it :)

------
5.11 shirt quality control isn't what it was I find that I frequently need to reinforce the stitching on the buttons. If you want to try the trousers check out Police Resources International for good prices and speedy service

http://www.pri.uk.com/

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
I have seemed to be quite lucky at picking up end of line craghoppers and find them excellent, well detailed (reinforced knees, knife pocket inside leg pocket etc) and hard wearing. Try the cheapo outdoor shops like CCC or TK Maxx.

Just had a look and CCC have currently got some bark brown kiwis for 20 quid.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
BDU pants are good. I've got 4 pair of Fjällräven trousers and they are simply amazing. Great, durable, waterproof fabric. A lot of pockets for all your stuff.

Michiel

kram245

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2006
suffolk
Echo the praise for fjallraven trousers, superb bits of kit, although pricey. I also have a pair of 5.11 tactical bdu's. My pair at least seem very well made, my only issue is after lots of washing, they are still quite stiff, unlike my fjallravens which are really comfortable. The material is pretty thick, so would be hot in summer, which is strange as they flog a lot of these to private security contracters in Iraq.

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Army combats (Soldier 95 pattern) as they are roomy and well made, I currently have a pair of the desert issue ones which are excellent.

My other favourites are some olive drab combat type trousers bought from Decathalon in France, three pairs for 30 euros. They are two years old and still going strong!

Stewey.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have some camo combat trousers and they are great, dry quickly, compfy with lots of pockets
leon

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Either good old, cheapo lightweights or mega expensive Ventile! The middle ground is - whatever kit I am reviewing for my magazine columns at the time!

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Ventile trousers sound like a nightmare!!! Aren't they rather stiff when wet?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A little stiff maybe - but they soon dry, are totally wind proof, majorly waterproof and a lot quieter than - and not as bulky or awkward to wear or as hot in mild weather - overtrousers. They are also tough, insect bite proof and supurb to wear over thermals for snowbashing.
Love them!

D

deezee_uk

Out of curiousity, Where did you get your Ventile Trousers from?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I'm very fond of military-style moleskins - german army originaly I think. I've sewed heavy duty gortex patches on the knees and backside of my favourire pair - no more damp knees / ****. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE