What tree?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Walking the dog on the weekend and come across this:

IMG00381-20110626-1409.jpg

IMG00382-20110626-1410.jpg

Carried one of the logs back and have split it ready to attempt a kuksa but would like to know what wood it is?

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Close up of the leaves would be useful?

I will take one when im next up there, forgot about that!!
The tree is up the mountain by my aunt's house, not too sure when im there next but ill take a walk up :)
I could try and edit to see one of the ones on the ground but may be a blur

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Doesn seem to be any mast on the floor but it is pretty exposed, aye better pics needed.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
From the red discolouration on the cut timber could it also be a big old ash?

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rogelio L.

Jul 14, 2011
Spain
wood could look like beech but bark and leaf arrangement don't: bark on trunk should be smoother and leaves should be arranged more horizontally, I think.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Oh yeah, the leaves are in the foreground of the second pic - I didn't notice. probably not sycamore then, more like beech.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I am gobsmacked, it is such a totally typical example of a beech tree one of our most common trees and we are all here discussing. Its out in the middle of a field on it's own, almost certainly planted, its growing on an exposed hillside so is probably growing pretty slow (never see an alder there) hornbeam uncommon in South wales and more fissured bark and trunk when old, sycamore very different old bark, leaves and wood colour. I guess it is 150 years old which fits with the end of the period when most beech trees were being planted, the smooth bark on branches and slightly rougher on old trunk all fit, the leaves are right, so is the colour of the cut branches. The form of the trunk is exactly typical. The only thing that is a bit bizarre is why it has been so drastically pruned for no obvious reason, during the growing season, and with nasty long pruning stubs too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE