What tree saps can I drink?

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
I've always been interested in drinking the sap from birch trees (there are alot of white/paper birch around), but I don't know when to do it, because they don't run all the time, any idea when to collect this sap?

Also is there any other common trees you can drink the sap from?

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
early spring the very first sign of buds on the birch, start testing march through april,

Can I also snap a little thin branch of and tape a bottle to it?

Also another question, does maple and birch run all year round, I know you said when the first buds start appearing but would it still run but less?

Does maple run the same time as birch?

Thanks mate!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Can I also snap a little thin branch of and tape a bottle to it?

Also another question, does maple and birch run all year round, I know you said when the first buds start appearing but would it still run but less?

Does maple run the same time as birch?

Thanks mate!

You could but you wouldnt get a lot out matey, the sap doesnt run with the same pressure all year, its the early spring pump of nutrient up to the branches that you looking to catch, i found the taste changes as it slows too, if you dont want to use an auger try lifting a decent flap of bark with the tip of your knife and push a little tube in there or a slpint of wood then tape\tie a bottle to the tree with the other end of the splint in or if your tubes long enough havde the bottle on the floor,

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
You could but you wouldnt get a lot out matey, the sap doesnt run with the same pressure all year, its the early spring pump of nutrient up to the branches that you looking to catch, i found the taste changes as it slows too, if you dont want to use an auger try lifting a decent flap of bark with the tip of your knife and push a little tube in there or a slpint of wood then tape\tie a bottle to the tree with the other end of the splint in or if your tubes long enough havde the bottle on the floor,

So at this time of year would I still get even a mouthful? I'd love to taste it as it's supposed to be a luxury drink.

Heres a birch tapping guide I made a few months back; http://thesecretcamper.blogspot.com/2011/04/birch-tapping-guide.html

I think you've missed the boat a bit mate, but get your tools sorted for next year- its well worth it!

Thanks for this, I have a set of old drill bits, and tubing, maybe I can just drill the hole and push the tubing in.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
give it a go matey, even if its just to compare how it tastes now to what you get in the spring, but be prepared not to get much at all, and its not the nectar you may think it is, its water sucked up by a tree, not a fruit juice, still nice though dude,

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
give it a go matey, even if its just to compare how it tastes now to what you get in the spring, but be prepared not to get much at all, and its not the nectar you may think it is, its water sucked up by a tree, not a fruit juice, still nice though dude,

Well anyway I'm going to tap Birch, are all types of birch's sap drinkable?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE