What to sharpen with ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Just thought I would butt in here and say: no kit is complete without a starkie sharp... ;)

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Hello :)

Now i have used my jap stones for a while, I was wondering, once they start warping, or whatever the word is for not being straight from use, how can they be smoothed down to be stragith again?

Ive seen some movies where they rub a harder stone over them, which makes them straight again. Any idea's ?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You can buy a special stone that flattens them...

368770_l.jpg

http://www.axminster.co.uk/ice-bear-ice-bear-ceramic-flattening-stone-prod32262/

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Hello :)

Now i have used my jap stones for a while, I was wondering, once they start warping, or whatever the word is for not being straight from use, how can they be smoothed down to be stragith again?

Ive seen some movies where they rub a harder stone over them, which makes them straight again. Any idea's ?

You can use cinder blocks(breeze blocks here I think) or similar on coarser stones, I use a poundshop stone on my coarse stones to keep them true. For my fine stones I put a sheet of 1000 grit sandpaper on a flat surface and use that turning it as you go with lots of water. Works a treat and saves lots of money compared to the actual stone sold for this purpose. Your combination waterstone and stropping is my favourite way to sharpen by far...

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Im struggling to get my Mora 2000 razor sharp, or as sharp as this brand new F1 Ive just bought.

Ive read every forum tutorial, also on BB, watched every rae mears etc.. got the right tools, jap stones, strops, paste, I think I got the right technique, im patient, do not get frustrated, take my time but it will not shave my arm hair like the F1 does.

Apart from that, it is VERY sharp, cuts paper as good as the F1. What could it be? Is it possible that I cannot get it as sharp as the F1? Any tips on the very final stages of sharpening to get it razor sharp?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Im struggling to get my Mora 2000 razor sharp, or as sharp as this brand new F1 Ive just bought.

It might be as sharp. The blade angles make a big difference to your perceptions. Or it might not. Different steels take different edges in different ways. I've never owned either of the tools you mention. What are the blade materials? What are the edge grinds? Have you looked at the edges with a strong magnifying glass?

Finally, do you actually need to shave with your Mora? A lot of people use a razor. :)

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Hi,

Both are same steel. Mora is a scandi grind F1 is a convex.

Im just being greedy. i dont need it that sharp, but I want it that sharp so I can move onto the next bushcraft goal I've set myself.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
I think im getting closer.

I think my strop was too thin and I only stropped it 20 times. I think this was my failing point.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE