What to see in Dartmoor?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Hi,

I will be in Dartmmor next week and have around 3 days free for hiking. I will start from Canonteign Falls.

I have a small book that gives some walks suggestions based on local folklore. Based on that it seems I would go more in the south part of Dartmoor.

Do you have suggestions of places to see, area interesting from a faune and flore perspective or for their atmosphere or wilderness?

Cheers,
P.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im not sure what to say...what sort of things do you like to see?

I went to Dartmoor last weekend, nice scenery but very little to access by car, and driving is stressful on those sunken lanes (the default Devon road type)

Wistmans wood is nice, a relict Oak wood.

Do be sure to experience a Cream tea. (The store in Postbridge do takeaways, their ice cream is also very nice.)

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I found Dartmoor a joy just to be in and three days is perfect. I wouldn't worry too much about sightseeing.

But a cream tea once you're back in civilisation is a very wise suggestion.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I'd have to reccomend the South West area of Dartmoor. Especially around Burrator Resivoir and Sheep's Tor - stunning views and fantastic walking through woods and some of the best tors.

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
I love North Dartmoor, less grockles, less roads and a bit more windswept. :D
Just make sure you check there's no "Live firing" on the MOD ranges.:yikes:

If you swim in the Dart remember every year it takes a heart. (someone drowns)
If about at night lookout for the "Hairy Hand of Dartmoor".
Don't follow the Pixies otherwise you'll be pixieladen to the nearest bog.
And on those happy notes I hope you survive Dartmoor:eek:

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Thanks for the answers.

South seems the most likely destination. North might be wilder which I would have liked but there seems to be more "things to see" in South part.

Have Houd Tor, Jay's Grave, Bowerman's Nose, Yar Tor, the Coffin Stone, Money Pit, Tor Hill and such fancy names on the list in addition to what you gave.

No car so I don't care about the bumpy roads.

Can't wait to meet those playful pixies. And will try both the Dart and the Cream team.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE