Dartmoor campers - fires?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Good afternoon all.

When I get time, Dartmoor is one of my favourite places to be, I love small walks, hikes and indeed camp upon it. I often obey the byelaws - maybe occasionally bent them a smidge (van camped..maybe..I'll deny it!), but one thing I never do on the moors is fires - its a gas burner or nothing.

But recently went for a lovely walk alongside one of the rivers, had a swim scouted about and realised that if I had walked a bit further that I might find somewhere quite pleasant to hunker down for the night - need to research a bit further. The area was wooded, alongside the river, plenty of nice rock which I'd be able to set up a stove on, but I was just wondering whether you guys would frown on a bushbox style stove being used? - not that I actually own one...

I'm in two minds, obviously I despise heading onto the moors and seeing scorch marks from poorly placed fires, I know fires up on the moors are v dangerous with peaty land, sad to see tree branches being snapped by the litter leaving bells, but equally a small stove with a bit of woodsmoke is always hard to beat...

Thoughts?

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Is the woodland in a permitted camping area? The woodlands on Dartmoor are very sensitive areas and often SSSI’s etc and any wood gathering will be detrimental. Personally I’d leave the the firebox at home unless you are going to take the wood in with you and ensure it’s not going to leave any marks etc.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Is the woodland in a permitted camping area? The woodlands on Dartmoor are very sensitive areas and often SSSI’s etc and any wood gathering will be detrimental. Personally I’d leave the the firebox at home unless you are going to take the wood in with you and ensure it’s not going to leave any marks etc.

It's definitely not one of the older woods like Whistmans etc, however at this stage I don't honestly know. I need to/will research further before smashing about into some protected area. I'm also conscious about not setting a trend if spotted. I know I'd be respectful and discreet (imo) but not sure about others that may follow.

Any wood used would be in twig form, I could take my own.

Reactions: Crac and nigelp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE