What to make?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Would make a nice vase. Drill or turn right down the center and make a cup of some description at the bottom.
Once the bark is removed you might be able to see right through the twist to the flower stems.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
you can also shave the bark and use the wood (with some neutral laquer) for making a base for a lamp. I saw some ideas in the book "Tree Craft" by Lubkemann. It's an easy project.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Some great ideas, thanks peeps, i think for the time being im going to brush off the worst of the loose bark and take some time to decide what im going to do with it, would be a shame to rush into it and stuff it up.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
bit awkward for what i would usually do, how about taking the ends off leaving about a foot of interesting shape. split it equally lengthways smooth the flat side a little, the offcuts can be used to make 4 bun feet per side. invert, drill as many small holes angled as required.... you guessed where im going with this? :)... bark on or off, (i would leave it on) and there you go 2 rustic incense stick holders, one keeper and one gifted. :D

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Difficult as hawthorn has a real tendency for splits and shakes and this will some tensions in it.

Its nice to work I like it for knife handles.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It would be interesting to cut it diagonally, in the opposite direction to the twist (see pic), to see how the rings are disposed, but I cant think how you could incorporate that into anything more than say, a pair of book-ends.
Just a thought.

maytree.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE