What to look for in a Parang?

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
... do you have any thoughts about handles with facets (think something like an octagonal cross-section), to help with preventing rotational twist? Instinct suggests it would, but would such a handle cross-section be likely to cause blistering with the swinging action involved?

No idea. Tennis racquets are bevelled but have a leather or towelling wrap on them. Somehow, I can't see our knife nuts going for this option though:D

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
IMO the best shape for any type of knife grip, large or small, is an upsidedown egg shape, basicly the fat end goes into the palm of the hand, and then tapers down to follow the natural shape of the inside of the palm, having slightly flatened sides on it will limit the rotation in your palm.
A faceted shape would produce blisters in your hand after adout 15-20 mins of work, so it is best to keep the grip of one piece, timber, egg shaped in crosssection with a hook / ball type pommel which widens slightly as you go from blade to pommel, this widening will give a better drip on the tool and allow more control during cutting, if you look at the bottom pic that lush posted, the bottom left one is like what I am talking about.

hope this helps...

Cheers Karl.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
...A faceted shape would produce blisters in your hand after adout 15-20 mins of work...

This is what I feared with a knife intended for chopping.

IMO the best shape for any type of knife grip, large or small, is an upsidedown egg shape, basicly the fat end goes into the palm of the hand, and then tapers down to follow the natural shape of the inside of the palm, having slightly flatened sides on it will limit the rotation in your palm...if you look at the bottom pic that lush posted, the bottom left one is like what I am talking about...

Yep, I always liked that second handle in the bottom photo in Lush's post #1, and it's very similar to the handle on the Parang in the top photo in BOD's post #15. As I mentioned previously, it's a shape that seems right 'on the money'.

Thanks, Karl.

Best regards,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE