What to do with a sewing machine?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Hi there,

Approx 6 months ago I bought a Singer 45k and put a new variable speed motor on it. I had the view of making my knife sheaths with it but just couldn't get a quality result so reverted back to hand stitching. I should add that I have very little experience (read non!) with sewing machines but love the idea of making something with it, so frustrating seeing it gathering dust :-(.

Anybody have any expertise in this area, are there any dvd instructional videos out there (or even better a days course or similar I could attend) so I can 1) learn the basics of using it 2) suggestions of what to make?

Cheers,
Rob

N

Nomad

I dare say instructional stuff can be found online on the likes of YouTube. I think I just used the pretty decent printed guide that came with my machine (a Brother domestic type).

As for what to sew, I think it depends on what you want. If I don't have anything specific to make, my machine just sits and does nothing - I don't feel a need to use it just because I happen to have it. When I do have something to sew, it's invaluable.

If you're a total beginner, I'd suggest finding out how to get it to do some basic stitches on scrap fabric first - you're not going to make anything if you can't make it sew. With a bit of practice comes some confidence, and you can then apply what you've learned to making some relatively easy things that are likely to be handy, like little drawstring ditty bags. Making actual things entails a bit more than just getting the machine to sew - you have to plan the steps out so that you don't do things like sew up the ends of the drawstring channels. Making some basic items will help you get the hang of that. (It's not especially hard - just needs a bit of sitting and thinking beforehand about how something goes together.)

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi Rob
Where abouts are you in North Wales? I live in Flintshire and there's a place called Abakhan on the north wales coast road near Mostyn, they sell all sorts of fabric very cheap off cut rolls ideal to practice with and they do sewing courses, sell all sorts of craft equipment spares etc etc, what to sew, maybe some Sami type coffee pouches out of skinned sofa, bishop bags brew kit bags, hammock cushion, folding saw bag, canvas cooking utensils pouch, tree sap equipment pouch, tool rolls for carving knives, etc, as previous post said learn/practice to use it first on scrap material, you soon pic it up, type in the make and model in YouTube and you'll be away, and you can always join a sewing forum to ask other Q's good look happy sewing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Billy - many thanks for that heads up I will definitely head over there for a look around goodjob, I live just outside Bala so not too far to pop over. Had a youtube search for the singer 45k (it's a bit of an old beast of a machine) - not too much on there specific to the machine but a few ideas for making stuff :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=61619

There's a forum where you can download the manual for your machine; scroll down that page a little and you'll see it as a .pdf file.......You may have to join up to download, but that's easy enough, eh?.

A sewing machine is basically the same as another sewing machine and the basic principles apply in general - I'd go to a charity shop and get a load of sheets and pillow cases, cut and hem some cloths for your camp kitchen chores, make some ditty and foraging bags, easy and useful projects that'll give you usable things right from the get-go...........Cut the legs from worn out trews and sew one end shut, then sew a channel into the other end to take a cord or lace to close it by; do a second one with the other leg and add a belt loop or two so you can use it collecting tinder etc.

Whilst you're doing a few things like that you'll have ideas coming thick and fast and you'll become familiar with your machine quicker than you think. Have fun and post back what you get up to, eh?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Caerleon: from your OP, I'd practice for a while and then make two tents. One for summer and an absurd insulated one for winter. The same designs and the same weather fly cover would fit both.
Just long straight seams that I think that I could cope with. 6' high in an 'A' shape, 7' wide at the floor and at least 10' long in rip-stop nylon. The tail could be 4' high but no fuss. One vertical zipper at the tail to get gear in and out. Three at the front with a second front of screen in the summer tent.

I'm really lucky = there are 3 fairly accomplished sewers in my village. The uphoulstry guy could attach the floor to the body of the tent that I would get someone else to do. I'd get him to do the whole winter tent.

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Thanks Mac for the info will certainly take a look at that forum and download the .pdf, very useful indeed! - Will get to it today actually now finished for Christmas and the kids are still at school so time to myself (which is rare lol).
Appreciate the guidance Robson - what I have thought about is making a silnylon open ended bivi (basically a tunnel) for my hammock actually so quite similar ;-)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Many times, I've seen BCUK members describe camping with a hammock. I can't imagine doing that here. I'd be dead of blood loss (bugs or bears = same thing) before morning.
I think the open tube concept is a great one, you can pull it over you like a stocking = out of the wind and out of the bugs.

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Robson we get midges here in the summer (enough to prevent the kids playing outside without midget nets on).

I have a couple of portable hammock stands (1 that is very portable (1.5kg all in covered here
:http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136253&highlight=handy+hammock )

The other is a steel frame I leave out in the fields near the house due to lack of trees. Both are good but neither can hold a tarp effectively to keep the rain off. Therefore the logic is to tie a line between the 2 supporting ends that hold the 'tunnel' off the face. Re bugs well I use a DD Hamock with a bug net.

Will get around over Xmas in putting it together (picture paints a thousand words etc) ;-)

Last edited:

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I think that the guys comments are very relevant about practicing your seams and corners etc.
Its a big step from starting to use a machine to sewing silnylon.
I may be wrong but I would not think that a big machine like that would be the best one to use on silnylon.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Today I gave a new home to a Newhome sewing machine... I have plenty that I want to make with it.

Intended use is hidden stitching in leather goods, but I have an urge to make a cuddly toy. Might sound soft (and cuddly) but there is something about a sewing machine... it gives you the ability to make something with fabric, denim, leather etc that will bring a smile to someone... and I reckon my little girl will be over the moon if I make her a new friend on my new sewing machine.

Her smile makes me smile :D

bennymk

Sep 21, 2015
milton keynes
I'm just about to get a hand crack singer and my grab said to practice on paper as you can learn the speed without worrying as much about feeding once you've mastered the speed (feel of it) you can then go onto using clouth. She was brought up on hand crack singers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE