What to do with a pickaxe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
So I had a big clearout over the weekend of my old dilapidated shed, and found a pickaxe (not mine), and looks like it belonged to a miner. Its quite old, a bit rusty but with a good belt sand and a buff, (and the handle being sanded and oiled) it will come up well. Thing is, I have no use for it. So could anyone do with one?

If so, what should it go for?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They aren't expensive but they are damned useful when digging trenches and footings. Hang on to it if you ever plan on having some land.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Well I had to drill out the handle. The bottom of it was rotten through, so will give it a nice clean up perhaps over the weekend. But I lack the wood to make a good handle, so when its cleaned up, someone can have it if they like (for a small modest fee for the cleanup + postage costs)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They are friction fit too (or should be, everyone I have ever seen is), should be less than a minute to rehandle one.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
yup, they're meant to slide on and off the handle with the shape providing a good stable friction fit, until you turn them upside down and give 'em a tap or two to loosen....Take-down pickaxe, anyone?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE