What Time is it?

It's fall! Ahem, Autumn in the UK. :)

I'm doing my usual fall things like gathering acorns and making Manzanita punch. I've also switched to carrying my warmer thermal layers and my rain gear. My rain gear has been sitting on a shelf since May because I live in a Mediterranean climate*.

- Woodsorrel

*Exception: I always carry rain gear when hiking at altitude.

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Time to build a natural shelter onto those lovely horizontal branches...
Plenty of fallen wood and leaf litter...

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That really does look like a nice spot to strike a camp.
At 53N here, I'd want to be in a tent. The wind chill from any breeze
will suck the heat out of everything.

Spring has sprung,
Fall has fell.
Winter's coming
and it will be as cold as Hello.

Another 4" 2 nights ago, mostly melted now. Sunny and the spruce trees are dripping.
I really thought this was the start of winter, we've had wild November snow storms in many years gone by,
this is really late. Ice tires on the Suburban, I know where my winter coats are. Just bought a ton of
fresh pellets for the stove.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Hoho TeeDee - I can see that this thread might start branching out somewhere else so I'll stump any further suggestions in that direction!

It is of course (Brit) DPM o'clock!

It is the time of year in the UK when 'block/solid foliage' cover diminishes, becoming sparser and see through, exposing darker trunks and branches but with some small amounts of dark shadow, as well as partial views through the foliage to the usually browner hues of already fallen leaves on the ground behind.

The fern will soon turn likewise (it already has since I took the image) and become bracken and catch up with the leaves extending the effect right down to the ground.

But those colours/patterns won't last long before it turns to olive drab and fleck-time! :)

Brit dpm cap.jpg 1.jpg

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
So the question was 'who is in tune with my camo preferences'.....and you wondered why there werent many replies? Lol

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Haha Sunndog,

Not quite - the question was - Who is in tune - with the environment and the change(s) - hence the image.

And you might be correct - no wonder I didn't get many replies!

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Is that shrubby tree & leaves the common form and colors of the understory in that forest or is it unusual?

Our boreal forest understory is many shades of grey.
No brown, very little dull green, no white, no specular reflections.
No camo on the market comes close.
Easily fixed with a rattle can of grey.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Robson valley,

No, the form and colours are far from unusual - it is very typical not just of the specific woodland that the image was taken in but over a wide area.
The colour palette can be found not just in woodland proper but in field boundaries, coppices etc.

Depending on the weather temp and amount of precipitation, we can often get a prolonged period of brown leaf-fall and fern-turned-bracken giving a very olive and brown palette in a lot of our woodland - tree trunks and ground cover.

But I understand where you are coming from re grey - many years back before they were even available on the commercial market we received some leaf blankets produced in the
US which our suppliers believed would be the ultimate in cam & concealment - in the event when set up against a variety of different backgrounds here they came out as too light
and/or too grey. In fact the colours only came anywhere near to working when we turned them over but that lost the 3D effect.

On the subject of grey we do use it and I have previously mentioned it on here in a couple of posts. It has regularly proven very effective even in environments like the one in the image.
There is some science behind it (ask the squirrels) along the lines of the human brain somehow superimposing surrounding and back ground colours onto smaller, irregular areas of grey.
I have frequently had success with the Austrian 'stone-grey' - a sort of olive-grey, in woodland, particularly during the winter months.

S1050003.jpg

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks, Jaeger. I looked for camo to hunt the boreal forest and eveything comes up from the US and it's wrong.
Bumped into a guy in the forest and he'd used a flat grey in broad strokes = looked good so I went home and did the same!
I have a very effective NatGear snow camo suit (so I'm told by people looking for me). I'll get it out for pix if/when the snow comes to stay.
Most unusually late this winter.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
You are welcome,

It can be a very interesting subject/art.

For some time I've taken my cues from nature - especially during the transitional periods autumn and spring.

I had long been bemused with our red/brown foxes until I saw one stalking its prey through bracken - very effective. Wish I'd got a (cam) shot of it :lmao:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I used to hunt some snow-covered pea fields for Canada Geese (bag is 5/day). A couple of times, people needed to find me.
They were told: " look for the black shotgun barrel. He's either at one end or the other. You can't see him until he moves."

Most difficult hunting trick I ever learned was to be able to sit still (breathe, eye movement only) for an honest 15 minutes.
Our boreal forest wild life forget that you exist.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE