What this all about bivi bags then ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Richie'66

Forager
Nov 8, 2010
Banffshire, Scotland
Can someone tell me about bivi bags ?
I mean what are they made of , can I make it meself ?
When kipping in said bivi does that mean you don't need a tent and if so what about head covering ? ground sheet ?
If no head covering then if it rains your head gets wet and or head get bitten with mossies.
Trying to broaden my horizons here :eek:

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
Bivis are great. They are usualy made of goretex which is waterproof but lets your sweat out. You can sleep without a tarp but I don't tend to. I use a ground sheet just to protect the bivi but as of yet I havnt used a mozzie net as I don't like using them in the hieght of summer as there are too many bitie stingy things about.

Get yourself an old army one and try it. You can't beat it for simplicity and the ability to sleep under the stars. My blog has a lot of pics of my bivi in use.

May 18, 2011
Scotland
I mean what are they made of , can I make it meself ?
When kipping in said bivi does that mean you don't need a tent and if so what about head covering ? ground sheet ?
If no head covering then if it rains your head gets wet and or head get bitten with mossies.

British army one is made from goretex which is waterproof and breathable so that less condensation will build inside bag.

They are designed so you plus all your kit can get in it and out of the elements so they are big.

You can pull a drawstring on the hood and fold it over top to stop rain getting in.

I used it for a night in snow straight on ground and it was fine.

You also get Bivvi's with hoops to get more space.

They are relatively light and pack up very small.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I use a bivi that zips closed so you are sealed in. It isn't for everyone, but I'm not claustrophobic about being inside fabric, and I tend to leave a 2-3 inch air gap anyway if I decide to close it up. Ity adds warmth in winter, and I've never had any problems with condensation. I have used it with a tarp, or without if I know the weather will be dry overnight.

Richie'66

Forager
Nov 8, 2010
Banffshire, Scotland
Thanks for the replies , it seems that I'll have to give this some serious thought . It just seems sort of odd to me to just kip in a bag straight on the floor.
Are you supposed to use a camping mate to take the hardness out of the ground ? is this used in the bag if so ?

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
LOL !! perfect !!

where do i get a " camping mate to take the hardness out of the ground" from ?

you have no idea whats going through my head thinking about that ! LOL ! :)

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Richie'66
You make beautiful, beautiful bowie knives mate!!
Now get yer self a bivi and a mat, get yer self out there and let us know how you get on!!
My best.
Chris.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
An ex army one will do you Richie, they're tough and big enough to be unrestrictive.

A roll mat inside helps if you tend to roll about when sleeping.

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Ritchie, you can try one of mine next weekend @ Comrie if you like, they're the dog's danglies with a tarp strung above!

Not sure about the "camp mate" comment tho! (You can get them on Tinterweb if you're into that!)

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i use a british iissue one Richie,..

no mat as, for me, the idea of a bivi is weight / space saving and speedy setup,..so a mat defeats the object imo,...

i usually find loads of dry leaf litter or bracken etc,...and i,m always very comfy,...

Stu

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I mean what are they made of , can I make it meself ? WPM - stuff like Gore Tex, and yes you can.
When kipping in said bivi does that mean you don't need a tent and if so what about head covering ? ground sheet ?You can kip out without and covering, but if you're not that hard core, use a tarp or get a hooped bivi. Ground sheets are always good, if anything they can protect your gear from getting dirty too.
If no head covering then if it rains your head gets wet and or head get bitten with mossies. Yup, see above. Mozzie nets etc, repellents or whatnot.

I like bivi bags, my fav just now is the Dutch ones from Endi's.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
How do people pack their army bivis. I have a Dutch one also, and find it quite bulky. Do you roll it or use a stuff sack?

Snozz

Richie'66

Forager
Nov 8, 2010
Banffshire, Scotland
Ritchie, you can try one of mine next weekend @ Comrie if you like, they're the dog's danglies with a tarp strung above!

Not sure about the "camp mate" comment tho! (You can get them on Tinterweb if you're into that!)

Ah , yes , er *embarassed* that should've been camping mat not mate....slip of the fingers there sorry 'bout that.

Thanks all for the comments making much more sense now and gives me some more options as to what to look for.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Neither. I put the sleeping bag inside the bivvy bag and stuff the whole issue into the bottom of the ruck. It seems to occupy the least space that way.

Never thought of that! Just always did the compression sack things with large items.. Will try it out.

Snozz

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
thinking about buying a British army bivi bag later off ebay, is there a simple way of modding and fitting a hoop in it like the dutch ones?

I'll get a mosquito face net too, just incase.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE