What tents do you own, what's your favourite / least favourite, and why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Hi All

Well the title of this post says it all.

I am suppose to collect a used patrol tent tomorrow from a local seller, and ordered a new Vango Event Tent online. So I look forward to getting and using them soon, but cannot tell which is my favourite yet. But through time, I am sure I will go through some of the tents, as I am quite interested in using them.

After reading all your response to this thread, I am sure I would have learnt a lot more about different makes and types of tents. cheers.

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I have a Wild Country Zephyros 2, sturdy little tent and not too heavy at 1.7kg. It's very quick to pitch and it's been through some heavy weather with me. My only problem with it is the head room, I can't sit up in it with out my head pushing against the top of the inner (Im 6'1). Might not sound like much to complain about but if your having to cook inside it's a pita.

15f65482-253d-422b-8512-b96838a87641_zps7876c29d.jpg

My other tent is a Vango Icarus 600 for family camping, its huge!

The 'tent' I really want is a Luxe Sil-Mini peak. Think this could be my ideal ground shelter.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Too many tents to list but my favourite ground dweller without a doubt is my Trailstar, more tarp than tent I suppose but a gem of a shelter.

Or there's my Bergen lavvu ..

But equally happy in the hot tent ..

or the Laser Comp ..

or Saturn bivvy

But given the choice I prefer two trees and the option of hanging a hammock ..

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Favourite is my Hilleberg Akto - use it all year round and in all weathers. Just got myself an old Vango Force 10 which I've done up and am going to use for the first time next weekend. We have two "family" tents for car camping. Also, can I count three tarps of varying sizes and two bidi bags?
The problem is that having looked at some of the pics on this thread there are so many other nice looking tents out there.i..

Last edited:

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I've had several tents in my time, at present I have a vintage one person vango force 10 (cotton inner nylon flysheet so not that vintage, perhaps 30 years old) a 2 person wild country cycle touring tent and a one person hilleberg akto. The vango I don't use, the other two see quite a bit of use.

My best tent was a hybrid made from a found 2 person inner (found on a hillside) and a flysheet a friend donated. My folks, who made all their own tents, adjusted the flysheet to fit the inner the rest I sorted out myself, so possibly more sentimental attachment than anything else.

It wasn't suited to really bad weather as the flysheet didn't hug the ground but it was fine for sheltered camping and served as base camp on more than a few extended climbing trips, it never let me down though. It burned down in the chamonix valley in 86, due to some eegits camped nearby who had an accident with a petrol stove, instead of stepping back and leaving the fuel to burn off they kicked it away from their tent towards my own, which was occupied at the time by my pal who donated the flysheet. Fortunately nobody was hurt, a lot of gear damaged though.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
My favourite is my Coleman Bedrock 2, Used it constantly this summer , Bombproof never let me down once, not even in torrential rain and wind, Easy up in 5 minutes, at 2.5 kg not too heavy to carry.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
BisonTu3.jpg

Bison Tundra 3

OpenIcelandic.jpg

Blacks Icelandic

FullRig.jpg

Blacks Icelandic & similar 10' x 8' patrol, flysheeted overall,

Onsite.jpg

the Icelandic again, with custom fly,

Nk6_NickGreytent.jpg

Relum Paradiso

WaberOct08b024.jpg

Cabanon Pyramide,

P500tarp.jpg

Vango Peace 500 + tarp.

I like them all, but if I had to choose one it would be the Icelandic with the oversize custom fly.

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
My last purchase was GoLite Trig 2.

Very similar to Kifaru SuperTarp, but inclusive mosquito-net and annex, much more cheaper then Kifaru SP, light and lot of room for one person with gear.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
El-Cheapo 2 man dome tent
Gelert Solo
Wild Country Zephyros 1

I have also just purchased a Luxe Sil-MiniPeak few days ago so really looking forward to trying that out. I bought a DD Travel hammock/tarp setup couple of month back which I really like, although bit heavier/more bulky then tent. If I'm going to be using hammock/tarp regularly I may find lighter alternatives like the Snugpak Jungle Hammock.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Cabanon Pyramide in it you see lots of these owned by tne Dutch.

POP UP Base Tent.

You can stand up in these. We dock 1-3 tents on them so you stay dry.

Vango Typhoon, good geodesic mountain tent.

Inchmoan Canoe Camp by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Decathlon BIONNONASAY t2, snow /mountain tent. Best tent for the worse weather. Snow valances good for pitching on snow.

Ben Starav Winter Camp by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Last edited:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Wild Country Citadel 5 for family camping
zoom_44C5_L500.jpg

Vaude Terraquattro 3P for a bit of luxury winter camping.
6f7af10029bcf59a35635b8213d55753_M.jpg

Other than that and i'm hanging in a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE