What stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hiker + is a Nova in a can, don't see the point of them to be honest. You may as well get a 111 if thats the style you fancy.

Agree.... If 111's float your boat either the plain 111 which is a great stove for a roarer or a 111T which is much more civilized around camp would be my picks.....

I'd avoid a 111b and definately the 111c at all costs.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Roarer or silent 111 (or other paraffin stove)? Personally, I prefer the roarer - I find they are much more effective in any sort of a breeze, and I kinda like the noise!

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
The optimus stoves are good but are limited to liquid fuels,I'm also looking at the primus express lander as it uses both gas and liquid and is very small and light.I have the express spider and can't fault it ,apart from only using gas.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
So you want a stove that burns a range of liquid fuels plus gas, is lightweight,has a small pack size and the pump is durable.

I'd say Primus omnifuel or a Chinese omnifuel / nova clone. I have a Chinese stove in the garage it's a sort of whisper lite omnifuel clone and runs on kerosene, gas and 'petrol' it's actually not that bad... But underburns badly on a low flame.

If you wanted a really good multi fuel stove for liquids only then I'd say get the original xgk it's bomb proof but the gram weenie in you wouldn't like that....

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Always wanted the original XGK but could never afford it,I wasn't sure about the sticky out fuel tube either.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I wasn't sure about the sticky out fuel tube either.

The fixed fuel line is good design

You can lift the stove by the bottle and shift it around so say outside of a fly or snow cave while priming then inside to cook on... Also the ridged line is a doddle to clean.... A propper stove for big hills or cold places....

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Roarer or silent 111 (or other paraffin stove)? Personally, I prefer the roarer - I find they are much more effective in any sort of a breeze, and I kinda like the noise!

+1 to all that -- although I'm sure you didn't mean that all paraffin stoves are silent. There are many roaring paraffin stoves, I have a few myself. :)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
+1 to all that -- although I'm sure you didn't mean that all paraffin stoves are silent. There are many roaring paraffin stoves, I have a few myself. :)

Yup - have the roarer 111, and the Optimus 45, and a couple of SVEA 106, and a couple of Brit optimus clones, the Army Mk2, all on paraffin (except the Mk2 and a Coleman 533 - petrol, but they both roar nicely)! I do have one silent optimus though....

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Pop down the shop you visited and have another look at the stoves. your have to pick soon before your mrs changes her mind, you know what woman are like lol.

Jan 15, 2012
essex
P1010205.jpg

lovely stove :)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I dearly love my 123R, it's one of my favourite stoves but I'm a realist. It's heavy, cumbersome and wind sensitive compared to a true roarer.

Just how heavy and cumbersome are the other stoves when they have their fuel tank attached?

It all depends on what you want doesn't it, if you like using stoves then get a 123R but if you like buying stoves, get a Whisperlite*;)

*You'll get a chance to buy another before too long as well.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Agree.... If 111's float your boat either the plain 111 which is a great stove for a roarer or a 111T which is much more civilized around camp would be my picks.....

I'd avoid a 111b and definately the 111c at all costs.

Why would you so definitely avoid the 111c when you are such a proponent of the 11 Explorer?

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Same burner... But different stove....

The Explorer is ok on Coleman fuel but rubbish on kero.... It's also not in a case with a fixed fuel tank like a 111...

I like it for winter camping because it has a silent burner.... Most ( but not all) remote fuel bottle stoves tend to be roarers...Which is ok but noisy... Listening to a Dragonfly in a snow cave for the best part of an hour as you melt snow and make dinner etc is not much fun TBH.... What I need is a KAP Arctic..

I've been using this recently....

Also nice and quiet... And great on Coleman fuel....

IMG_2261.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE