What stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I'm also looking at the msr whisperlite universal,it's a bit cheaper than primus and I'm used to them.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Pyrophil said:
as far as i know the stove are the same, just different metal used ti instead of ss.

Apparently not ...

Omni006.jpg

Jan 15, 2012
essex
omnilite smaller like i said, it primus's new stove for 2012. the omnifuel ti i can not see anyone selling them in the uk. omnifuel and omnifuel ti same stove, just different metals used.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Is that why my father is on his 3rd wife?

:lmao:

Doesn't the Omnifuel have a built-in jet cleaner then? Some have 'shaker' cleaners, the one on my Nova is magnetic and there's a little magnet on the supplied tool to activate it.

As has been said using the cleaning wire can wear the jet but if you're careful it shouldn't cause serious wear for at least a few years, and a jet isn't expensive compared with what you'll save on a few gallons of Coleman Fuel.

Fairly early on I learned that it's important to put these stoves out the correct way. Don't turn the flame down until it goes out, because at the end it will burn with a very small yellow flame. A yellow flame makes soot and soot clogs the jet. It's best to blow it out while it's still burning a blue flame -- you can turn it down to make it easy to blow out, but not so low as to get a yellow flame. Turn off the fuel tap immediately after blowing out the flame, obviously. :)

[Edit to add] Another point is that when I turn off the Nova I prefer to use the flip-over-bottle method where possible. When the stove cools after turning it off using the tap, the tap can get very tight indeed, to the point where I'm a bit worried about breaking the hinge on the tap lever when I turn it back on. If I turn it off using the tap, while it is cooling I turn it on and off again a couple of times. That stops the tap getting so very tight when it's cold.

That was a bargain, good job you saw it first!

No shaker jet on mine I don't think. Theres a tiny wire on the supplied multitool for poking the orofice.

Some good points there, I've been turning the stove off by the tap mostly, thats maybe why I'm having to clean it more regularly. It doesn't need a poke if I invert the bottle.

fip the bottle over to clear the fuel line, dont switch it off or blow it out. no fuel in the fuel line when you unscrew it too. £75 was a good price, before i got my one they were going for just under £100 on ebay, i was not going to pay that much for second had one, not 20 pounds less than new.

I'm still forgetting about inverting the bottle before hitting boil, it'll sink in before long. :rolleyes:

Agreed on the price. I watched a few go for a ton plus, can't see the point when new is a few quid more with a guarantee. I think £80 odd is enough for a second hander unless its spanking and with extras.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I know all about the MSR pumps,breaking 2 has taught me to be careful with them.You'd think that by now they'd sort them out.

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Do you want to get another msr for just over a 100 and then pay 40 pounds for a new pump for it next year. or pay 120 to 130ish for a omnifuel what may last a life time? plus you get a fuel bottle and case with the primus.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
My WhisperLite Int pump last nearly 12 years before it gave up, that included one replacement leather cup after nearly nine years. It was the one which the stovies really didn't like, the one with the nasty finger shredding brass valve wheel which was a delight to use on cold mornings :) All that time I used nothing else but unleaded too.

After a trip to the Cairngorms with Teepee a couple of months ago I stripped it down completely after it was spluttering a bit, I've now got a shiney stove again with clean jets and fuel lines, running Aspen 4 now too.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Sounds like you have better luck than most of us.

As for the Optiums 111, i like the hiker + model more :p

You're lucky - I know many who have had no end of problems with the H+ - mainly because of junk left in the tank/pipes during manufacture.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hiker + is a Nova in a can, don't see the point of them to be honest. You may as well get a 111 if thats the style you fancy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE