what size rucksack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what is the size of your MOST USED rucksack, for 3 day trips

• Total voters

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Snugpak bergen (the one up from the Rocketpak) without side pouches.

Big enough for all my kit! And it's a great pack.

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
That's a forces 88 then I bet... ;) do you have the green one or the camo one? I could only get the green when I got mine and when I look at pictures there seems to be differences.

Yep, Forces 88 DPM cracking pack (IMHO), I was lucky enough to have the choice of olive or DPM, and they are identical in all but colour scheme I just think the camoflage pattern looks smarter.

Must admit tho, I'm not quite sure how to (or whether I should) bend the internal struts to fit my back :dunno:

I have been known (in the past lol) to strap a 6 man tent to the outside of mine :eek: poles pegs n all and I dread to think what it all weighed ::lmao: .

Kev

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Warm weather, overnighter, I'll take my Highlander NI Patrol pack copy, but mostly I'll use my Sabre 60-100, with PLCE pouches. I can get the tarp, hammock, rope, tools, etc. in one pouch, and some food/cooking gear in the other, saves me opening the main pack to set up a basic camp or get a brew on.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I use a Highlander forces 55ltr as my main bag.

forces_66o.jpg

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
how do all you lot do it :rolleyes: with -65 litters :confused:

Think it's a combination of taking not too much kit, experience, conditions and length of your outings.

If it's cold you'll take a warmer (thicker) sleeping bag, when you're experienced you can do without items a beginner will bring. Experience in this case will not per se mean a well seasoned bushcrafter with 20 years of experience below the belt; It also applies to one who camped out a few times and took notice of kit he/she didn't used and wasn't essential (like a FAK is). You can over do with the kit you bring: several sharp items, while fixed blade and folding saw (or axe) will do almost, if not all jobs.
If you're out in woods you still need to eat. Hence we bring food with us. You can resupply or not, that's up to you. But sometimes this will not be possible and you need to haul in all the yummy stuff. Of course you can find potfilling in the woods, but don't you want try to master fire by friction or make leaflitter shelter? Than it's wise to bring food with you, rather than to rely on natural resources, saves time and a lot of annoyence ;)

HTH

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
let me give you my problem :sigh: in a 65 litre bag will only hold :

compressed sleeping bag

2 setts of cloths, coat, 2 jumpers all compressed

tarp

dd travel hammock

my solo cook set

rope 5-10m

wash kit

and thats it stuffed! :bluThinki

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
2 options: ;)

1. Your bag isn't 65 ltrs
2. The items you bring are pretty voluminous:
- rope: paracord or climbing rope?
- sleeping bag: british army cold weather or a snugpak softie?
- clothing: 2 sets - most will only bring 1 set, and only the bare minimum; what do you have in these sets? As an aside, if you're happy to carry 2 sets, that's cool, just checking where the issue may lay.

Maybe an idea to open a new thread with this specific question? There are some threads about this sort of thing, so another one won't hurt. Pictures would also be of some assistance to give you a more tailored advice :)

Johan

scrubcutter

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2008
Dorset
125 litre bergen.

Used for carry around my photographic equipment and sundries. With this rucksack, coping with the weight (upwards of 65lbs) is no problem - once it's on!

chrish

Feb 2, 2007
Glasgow
I use a Karrimor Alpinist 55 which is large enough for everything I need for a long weekend, Anything that will not fit in it is just a luxury and can be left behind! I've used it for the last 20 years and despite a few repairs, will do me for a while longer. I like the simplicity of it compared to the modern hi-tech, whizzy, lots to go wrong, modern equivelents.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
1. Your bag isn't 65 ltrs = it is 65 ltrs

rope = paracord

sleeping bag = snugpak winter thing

I see ...
Other thing you can do is stop using the sleeping bag stuffsack. If you have a bivvy bag, place the sleeping bag in the bivvy and place it as such in you rucksack (bottom). This way it'll fold in all those little spaces, that normally don't get used.
If you don't have a bivvybag, use one or 2 binliners to make a rucksackliner, and use the same technique as above.

I've got a 30ltr Sabre and I once filled it up with a Ajungilak Kompakt 210cm (3 season) with binliner, a The North Face summer sleeping bag, uni sweatshirt, boxer, 1 pair of socks, a book and a washkit.

What bag do you exactly (brand / type) use mate?

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
LMAO mine is bigger than yours!!! ner ner ni ner ner.... *POP*.....who needs vertebrae!!!

ok, now that i have that out of my system. i have a 35l vango canyon air for going light. i just got a lowe alpine saracen for my regular trips away. why so big? well, you can always just not fill it, but you cant put more into a smaller pack. and you know how it is. when you are at home packing, everything fits nice and neat. then you go out for a few days, the weather goes off and you cant affort to spend a half hour making sure everything is packed nice. and it just doesn't seen to wat to fit anymore.
thats how i logic-ed buying my nice new pack anyway.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Anything over 1 night and its normally the big boy (65+20) that goes, though have done it comfortably with my 45 in summer, depends on the sleeping bag i'm taking.
You have to be strict with yourself when using large bags though, its all to easy just to put stuff in just because you can.
Wash kit? don't you mean a touthbrush and a can of smellys (find old spice keeps the mozzies away aswell) :lmao:
Looking at doing a week - 10days in a 40L this year, but will need to squeeze in the fishing stuff so it's gonna be tight :approve:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Like a few others, I use the Karrimor Sabre 60 - 100 most of the time. Well made and comfortable and very versatile with its many compression straps, zip up expansion panels and external "stash" pockets.

I do have a pair of DPM side pouches, 1 medic & 1 standard, but haven't really found I need the extra space that they allow. I do tend to put them on tho, as I use 1 to hide my SFA behind, and they make a reasonable day sac with the yoke.

I always take a Snugpak Response Pak as well, usually carried under the top lid of the main bergan. This is home to a few essentials that always go out with me -
FAK
Fire lighting kit
Tissues
Hand gel
Blow poker & skewers
Leatherman
DC3
Spoon knife
Head torch

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE