what size rucksack for a week?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
I suppose it all depends on what im taking with me, but ive planned a trip to Austria & Germany for a weeks fishing, so I need a big rucksack to take all my gear.. but what size?

I already have an Outbound Colmaster but im not sure what size it is, its pretty descent but I dont think it will do a week.

Any cheap recommendations?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Cheap for a 90+10.
£5 says the argos in Swansea doesnt have one tho!!! They are useless down here.

I did a quick check and some of your local Argos stores are showing as having one in stock* ~ and, if you decide that you do want one, you have the option to reserve and collect ;)

* Usual disclaimers ~ no connections etc. Stock checking facility is available in the link in this thread.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
id want somthing with side pouches, all your kit in the main compartment would do my nut in.....

id also go with somthing thats going to last, looks like allot of plastic straps to break there...

i like the issue bergan but then i would i have had the same one for 15 years now with no problems, but that showes they last adleast... could not tell you how much they cost because i get my one issued....

not really been much help but hey, issue kit does what it says on the tin....:)

regards.

chris.

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Blacks are heavily discounting in their sales at the moment. Large bags by Berghaus, Vaude, Lower Alpine, etc all well under a ton and some under £60... Check their website as well, you might not even have to go to the highstreet (yuk).

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Like you said, it all depends on what you're planning to take.

For lightweight backpacking 40-50L will see my right for two weeks, five days of fuel and food with a view to resupplying en route. A manageable pack weight for sustained carry for me is around 12kg max, much more than that and I'm flagging.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
It all depends also on what you can comfortably carry to ensure an enjoyable trip. The Argos one looks right for the job. Best advice just dont fill it to full

Like you said, it all depends on what you're planning to take.

For lightweight backpacking 40-50L will see my right for two weeks, five days of fuel and food with a view to resupplying en route. A manageable pack weight for sustained carry for me is around 12kg max, much more than that and I'm flagging.

As Shewie says, watch the weight if you are travelling by foot. A week in Finland with a karrimor jaguar 80+20 was fine with food for a week with a couple of fresh meat top ups. I was carrying 19kg at the start down to 14kg at the end both including at least a litre of water or beer. My next trip will be less. I recommend plenty of dry runs to refine your kit. 19kg was a killer, 14kg was s breeze by comparison.

Sent from my battledroid.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
From what I can gather the Outbound Colmaster rucksack is 85 litres. which is a good size & should be big enough...it looks a decent bag too.....
Don't forget you will be travelling most of the time ;) & getting on & off public transport with a bigger bag will be a pain....
If you're happy & comfortable with the rucky you have, then use it; at least you know how it will perform.( i.e. no nasty surprises in the middle of nowhere :)).

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
From what I can gather the Outbound Colmaster rucksack is 85 litres. which is a good size & should be big enough...it looks a decent bag too.....
Don't forget you will be travelling most of the time ;) & getting on & off public transport with a bigger bag will be a pain....
If you're happy & comfortable with the rucky you have, then use it; at least you know how it will perform.( i.e. no nasty surprises in the middle of nowhere :)).

Hi Mate, where did you find that out? Ive googled everything on the Tag and labels of this bag and cant find anything on it whatsoever apart from coincidently, 1 person on this forum saying they found 1 for £4 in a car bootsale.

Thanks for the replys, and I plan to fish the lakes and rives all round Tyrol and im gonna do a few stops up in southern Germany too.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Ive took some pictures of my own rucksack here. Its actually a COBmaster, not a COLmaster. My bad ! :) Can someone tell me what litre this is? by looking at it? My father gave me this when I was about 9, im 23 now. He had it for years before giving it to me, and my father can hardly spell my name right, nevermind remember where he got it. Its bigger than a 35L because I have a Regatta Xert 35L next to it and this is alot chunkier and a little bit taller.

100_1625.jpg

100_1624.jpg

100_1623.jpg

100_1627.jpg

100_1626.jpg

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think I might have had the same pack at one time, without the mesh pocket on the front though, about 55L if I remember right

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Difficult this one, even less info on it than the colmaster :)........
probably around 65 litres http://groups.freecycle.org/cumbernauld-freecycle/posts/14314053
this is a label from the inside, but not very helpful for the size http://radikal.ru/F/s55.radikal.ru/i149/1102/86/70c1adad4b1a.jpg.html

What you could do is measure the height, width & depth then compare it o other bag descriptions of say a 50 litre. & a 65 litre

Anyway it's smaller than the colmaster ;) & so may be a little small for what you have in mind.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
~60 litres I'd say, depending on whether you're carrying your weeks supply of expendables or if you'll be picking up extra fuel and food on the way.

And +1 to Shewie, 12kg is the max I'm happy to carry. Try not to get a very heavy rucksack. I'm not saying getting a <1kg lightweight pack, just watch out for those 3 1/2 kilo badboy bags. Choosing the right bag is a real easy way to cut down your base weight.

As for cheap rucksacks, I have an old 88l Highlander bag that has taken a pounding but is still going strong. Must be about 11 years old now. They do civi and mil versions now I think, look to be between 40 and 70 quid depending what.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
When choosing a rucksack the first thing is to decide what size you need,this is decided by the bulk of the kit you want to carry.The next thing is to get a pack that fits properly.If it doesn't fit it doesn't matter how good it is.You would n't wear shoes too big or too small would you?
Quality is a very big thing to look at too.You can pay £30 for a lower end sack and it will last for years but it will not be as comfortable as a £100 sack that is fitted properly.
It's a very personal thing is a rucksack,you have to use the one that you are happy with and not the one everybody else is happy with.
Don't believe the manufacturers sizes either,I have a golite Jam that is 51 litres.It fits (fully loaded) into my Osprey kestrel which is sold as 38 litres. Go figure.
I also have an Osprey crescent that is supposed to be 70 litres but will hold all my kit that fills a 120 litre sack and still have room for more.
It may be that Osprey are a bit off with the sizes.
Another thing to look for in a rucksack is manufacturer back up.
I suppose the easiest way is to try as many peoples sacks as you can,make sure they are loaded as an empty pack is a lot different to a full one.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
When choosing a rucksack the first thing is to decide what size you need,this is decided by the bulk of the kit you want to carry.The next thing is to get a pack that fits properly.If it doesn't fit it doesn't matter how good it is.You would n't wear shoes too big or too small would you?
Quality is a very big thing to look at too.You can pay £30 for a lower end sack and it will last for years but it will not be as comfortable as a £100 sack that is fitted properly.
It's a very personal thing is a rucksack,you have to use the one that you are happy with and not the one everybody else is happy with.
Don't believe the manufacturers sizes either,I have a golite Jam that is 51 litres.It fits (fully loaded) into my Osprey kestrel which is sold as 38 litres. Go figure.
I also have an Osprey crescent that is supposed to be 70 litres but will hold all my kit that fills a 120 litre sack and still have room for more.
It may be that Osprey are a bit off with the sizes.
Another thing to look for in a rucksack is manufacturer back up.
I suppose the easiest way is to try as many peoples sacks as you can,make sure they are loaded as an empty pack is a lot different to a full one.

Good post, and very true.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE