What size Dutch Oven?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
Hi,

I wonder if any members can offer advice on what size Dutch oven I should buy?

Being a Scout Leader, I do most of my camping\bushcrafting in a group environment and this makes me think I should buy the largest pot I can find - something like a 9 litre. Would this be too big though for individual meals or baking bread for instance?

I want something I can cook whole chickens, gammon joints etc, but I also want to do bread, bannocks etc.

Grateful for any advice - thanks!

Mat

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I have a small dutch oven 4.5ltr (one gallon) and it's large enough to supply stew for ten, or roast a leg of lamb. I've not done Bread in it, I'm hoping someone will doa demo at the Moot the art of cooking in a dutch over a wood fire.

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
Thank you for your replies.

I've just done a search and there are oodles of threads on Dutch Ovens - sorry if I'm going over old ground!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I suppose the size you need is governed by the meals you will cook. By the sounds of it you'll be doing a fair bit of communal/group cooking so I'd go for the biggest you think you'll need.
As they're not the sort of thing you lug around in a backpack, then weight isn't a factor as it'll only get carried back and forth from the car anyway.

I borrowed a 4ltr for a trip to Scotland a few years ago and it was plenty big enough for the four of us to eat stews for three nights.

I don't think the more common ones are that deep so you might want to find one that'll take a full chicken etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE