What sharpenning stone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mbatham

Can anyone guide me? I am lost in a wilderness of sharpenning stones! :shock:

I havn't got a clue what to look for in a stone or what I realy need. I have a single/flat beveled, high carbon Mora knife and I want a stone I can use at home or in the field to sharpen this, preferably with water, not oil.

May be two stones, one for home with oil, and one for the field with water to get good edges on my knife. I have purchased a fallkniven DC4 Diamond/Ceramic stone for little jobs but I need a stone i can bear down on - a bench stone?

Alos can someone explain the grades and varying 'sharpness/roughness' of stones.

I know this is a big ask but there is so much out there - can some one please help?

Thanks

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
The DC 04 is an ideal stone for "in the field" use as it has a coarse diamond side and a medium grit ceramic side. Using the medium grit ceramic side you should be able to get a decent edge on a carbon steel blade.

For the ultimate in home sharpening, get a medium and fine grit ceramic stone like these from Axminster: http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=441010

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Welcome! IPerhaps you should give a starkie sharp honing leather and paste a go. I have never had flair with stones but the starkie sharp is a real excellent bit of kit. Use it as you would a stone, lay the leather on a flat surface and put the edge on the leather and drag it towards you keeping the edge flat on the leather. Do that a few times (with the paste on the leather of course). There is already a thread on the subjecthere

Give it a go!

Cheers,

Jake

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Jake

You on commission for those yet mate :wink: I still can't get over how easy mine is, even use it on my GB axes. Also bought one for my brother so another convert.

Bill

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Perhaps i should ask them! I can become the official BCUK Starkie rep. Should get a good axe on which i could try it!

Jake

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Adi007 said:
The DC 04 is an ideal stone for "in the field" use as it has a coarse diamond side and a medium grit ceramic side. Using the medium grit ceramic side you should be able to get a decent edge on a carbon steel blade.

For the ultimate in home sharpening, get a medium and fine grit ceramic stone like these from Axminster: http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=441010
Just a quick word Adi ;)

Joe does these same stones for almost half the price that axminster do them

my carry around stone is the double sided pocket stone, 303MF

bestknives_1805_109057568

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
How think is that one? I have a similar thing in fine and it looks like a big stick of chewing gum. However, the stone is a lot more robust that I first thought it would be!

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
probably between 6 - 8mm ... and i have dropped it on a tiled floor and it's still in one piece ... I had visions of it shattering .. and was mildly surprised that it didn't break :yikes: to say the least.

It is a fine stone and a medium stone epoxied together in a sandwich

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I have bought myself a normal fieldstone with two sides. A coarse and a fine one. It's actually in one of the pictures of my bushcraft kit. :wink: But I only take it with me if the trip is over a week. When I need to sharpen, I'll soak it.

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
I use DMT diamond stones for all my sharpening in the kitchen and workshop and they are very good. They cut fast, they're light, unbreakable and can be used dry or with water. They are avialable in a range of sizes and grits, the extra course cuts really fast and the extra fine gives a close to razor edge.

leon-1

Simon said:
Just a quick word Adi ;)

Joe does these same stones for almost half the price that axminster do them

my carry around stone is the double sided pocket stone, 303MF

bestknives_1805_109057568

I have just bought the double sided version of this as the fine stone is superb, as ADI said it does look like a larger version of a stick of chewing gum but they are a lot more robust than they initially seem :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE