What sharpening stone to buy? Need help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dan_druff

Aug 4, 2012
Hull, England
Im new to all this bushcraft lark, managed to make a few nice spoons and knife etc but the time has come to sharpen the knife (cheap mora companion).. I don't have a sharpener and am looking at buying one.. But which one?

I was going to go for the fallkniven dc4 but there have been many terrible reviews of the new ones, bumpy, falling to pieces and with the ''they don't make them like they used to'' vibe going on.

I'm not wanting to spend too much so none of these japanese water stones.. something in the range of the £10-£20 mark... Instead of trolling through webpages I thought ''who better to ask than everyone?'' so heres the thread :p

All suggestions and ideas would be much appreciated..

Thanks

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
dc4's do seem to get a bit of bad press these days, but they're still great little stones, i had to finally admit that there was no diamond left on mine recently so split it in half so that i could keep just the ceramic side. from what i understand the more recent fallkniven stones don't have quite the level of finish that they used to, but that shouldn't be a problem at all, if you do get one and the surface isn't up to scratch then five minutes of rubbing it on a bit of wet and dry paper on a nice flat surface should sort it out. if the diamond coated half and the ceramic half part company then i don't really see how that's a problem either, they could be glued back together really easily or just used as they are, two stones for the price of one, you even get a little pouch to keep them together.

all that said, the "five pound sharpening kit" thread on here (i can't find it at the moment, but some nice person will post a link soon :)) tells you everything you could possibly need to know about cheap sharpening options. it's basically a home made sharpening stone and a very good solution it is too

cheers

stuart

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
DMT Diafold - the red and blue one is a good single choice. Tidy to pack away with the handles protecting the surface, but also giving somethign sensible to hold onto when in use. Very hard to beat.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....something in the range of the £10-£20 mark......

Spyderco double stuff seems very popular as a replacement for the DC4 and ive seen a few in use. they are on my wishlist

Another vote for the Spyderco Doublestuff. It is a great little stone.

BT or JD, please tell me that you noticed the bit of the OP that i've snipped and quoted here, and then post a link to the retailer. pretty please :)

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I use a lanky turn ox sharpening system. I get quite good results but not shaving sharp. Although I don't have a strop so that's probably why.

TROOPER

Aug 17, 2009
essex
Yep another one for stones and a good stropping.
However if you have a DC4 and have problems with it, my diamond side de-laminated blistered and feel to bits, complain! i did and fjallkniven sent me a new set of DC3 & DC4 sharpeners direct in the post, bang on service, and i have to say the new ones havn't given any probs YET!!! but that was a couple of years back now so they are doing well. Can't beat Jap waterstones though.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The new stones aren't bad by any means. I've not had a problem with quality at all and have used loads. The thing I really miss is the ultra fine ceramic side of the old version. This new one is slightly more coarse.

The Gransfors laminated axe puck is another good field stone. Very easy to use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE