What saw do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I'm late in doing some comparisons of the Laplander that JM sent me with the Sawvivor - or Ultralight as it's called in Europe. I'll have to haul them out today and report some times for cutting.
The thing to remember, though is that size and weight matter, too. So it'll just to be giving an idea of the capabilities. It'd be helpful if everyone would give some types/sizes and times for wood cut - for various saws. It'll be important to stay with easy cutting to get realistic and comparable values. Competition is for logging shows...

I've been exploring the robustness of the Ultralight/Sawvivor and so it gets a lot of use by a lot of people. And of course the other day I noticed that sand on driftwood had finally taken it's toll. I spent about half an hour sharpening the teeth with some emery paper and went down to under 30 secs for hard 6" logs. I don't have any jigs, and so just have to try to keep to the angles. It seems to work well enough. One modification that I've been wanting to get around to is modifying the shape of the teeth. A more rounded or chisel shape (but still sharp) to the tops is supposed to be more efficent for the hard wood. Maybe then I have to reduce the height of the rakers - we'll see. I guess most people now wonder about the wicked reputation of saws, but when sharp they deserve to be treated with a lot of respect..

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I have to admit that the Ultralight looks the part ... a pruning saw is OK but I think that for anything more than 4 inch or so it's going to be tough going.

Tonight, just for laughs, I used a Sabercut "chainsaw" on some felled wood and was impressed - 12 "saws" backa dn forth to go through a 5 inch log and 17 for a 6-7 incher. I was really impresses with both the speed and clenliness of the cut.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I see this is available in 2 sizes.

Ultra-Lite Takedown Saw
15" Blade
Weight: 9.7oz

Ultra-Lite Takedown Saw
18" Blade
Weight: 11.5oz

RB

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Adi ,I always found the "chain" saws pretty hard work ,how does it compare to a bow saw or folder in terms of effort required.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
rapidboy said:
Adi ,I always found the "chain" saws pretty hard work ,how does it compare to a bow saw or folder in terms of effort required.
The first time I used it I was braced for some hard work ... I've used wire saws in the past and was expecting it to be a major job followed by the saw breaking. However, it was nothing like that. The chain bedded in easily and I'd say that the sawing action needed no more than 10 pounds of pull on the saw. Really easy and it took 12 pulls to cut a 5 inch log.

I love it!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Wayne said:
OK Adi what am i doing wrong?
Hard to tell ... I guess you do need to keep your hands in line with the cut youa re making and I tend to have my arms out wider at the beginning of the cut (2 foot apart say) and bring them together as soon as I'm into the wood (1 foot). If I feel the pressure increasing I bring my hands out further apart again. A also widen the arms just before the saw exits the wood.

Maybe some stills or a video is in order!

The Bahco Laplander worked pretty smoothly, but took a couple of minutes to get through a 4" log. that's about as big as practical for it.
bahco.jpg

The Ultralight took under half a minute and could handle much bigger stuff.
ultralight.jpg

We were cutting short sections of the same log so things were pretty evenly balanced. The grand-daughter said she much prefered the Ultralight, but didn't put it in nice terms so I'm not showing the video... Basically the UL might be much faster - but it's always well to remember that a Laplander in the pocket sure beats anything else that's back in camp..
I was trying a very efficient hatchet and that took longer than the Bahco. It was a tough log.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I haven't yet a bush saw as such. For joinery I use shark pullsaw (9 strokes to cut 4"x2"") or Bahco procut (10 strokes). I recently made my first saw blade (bow saw) not out of this world as I am still practising (file) tooth cutting, but will do a 4"x2" in 11 strokes. I will attempt to build a folding saw and get pictures when 'tis done. Got an old 2 man crosscut to get me some good stock steel to work with. Maybe a handle of French burry elm and some nice Brass fittings?
Mr D :wave:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
OldJimbo said:
The Bahco Laplander worked pretty smoothly, but took a couple of minutes to get through a 4" log. that's about as big as practical for it.

Hi Jimbo, I can't comment on the laplander specifically because mine hasn't arrived yet, but using a smaller wilkinson sword / sandvik branded saw with only a 6.5 inch blade, I didn't have any problems taking an 8 inch dia birch trunk into four or five logs. You just have to rotate around the trunk working in from all sides to cut timber thicker than the reach of the blade.

OK you wouldn't pick this as a tool for logging, but if you're limited to them because of weight, these lightweights will still do an impressive amount of work.

Love your reviews by the way and especially your various articles about axes. Thanks,

Alick

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
For bigger than about 4 inch logs I find that the Ultimate Survival Saber Cut is pretty effective. I've taken it through 8 - 10 inch logs and it cuts through them easily.

I think that the Laplander is a good tool but not worth the crazy money it goes for in some places - the best price I found for it was Amazon.co.uk. Don't pay more than £20 for one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE