What saw do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
398_9836_2.jpg

Been using these Sandvik's for a long time and they are great tools but not very packable.
The only folding saws i use are SAK's or similar, so now im in the market for a folding saw.
Are the Bahco Laplanders the dogs :***: or what do you recommend?
There are 2 very similar Bahco's what's the difference?
Cheers
RB

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Have to differ with Adi a little here.

My first choice is the Laplander as a portable saw - due to two factures, firstly it locks open and closed, secondly it can be used one handed and at any angle.

I have trailed these chainsaws and to be honest wasnt greatly impressed. They're great int he push pull mode, in fact when sawn upwards into a piece of wood they are excellent. However for 'proper' use I feel you'd have to make a bow saw out of them. And of course if your injured or one handed they are useless.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
My problem with folding saws is the high plastic content of them - no matter how stong the plastic is, it never seems strong enough.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
What about the Opinel saw?
The knives are good ,a saw should be ok?
Haven't handled one and have seen pic's.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I've been using a Silky Fox pocket boy 170 that was recommended to me by a bushcraft instructor. These are excellent tools with tough steel that can saw very quick and efficently. They also come with a plastic 'sheath' that can be attached to a belt. .

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
I have a Gerber folding saw which I bought about two or three years ago. It was cheaper than the Sandvik but similar in design (ie probably ripped off :wink: ).

It comes with two blades which are easy to interchange. One has a coarse blade, one has a fine blade, but both are effective.

I also have a Sandvik orange bow-saw which I have used to cut logs at home.

Best wishes

Bruce

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I've have the cheap wilkinson sword retractable saw sold by B&Q. I've been able to log fallen birch trunks upto about 8 inches diameter with it. Not bad for something weighing almost nothing !

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
rapidboy said:
What about the Opinel saw?
The knives are good ,a saw should be ok?
Haven't handled one and have seen pic's.

I have one of these. Same size as the Nº12 knife. Comfortable handle, and being made of beech you can modify it to fit your hand how you like.

Quite good, useful little folding saw, but you might need to go over the flats of the blade to get rid of grind marks and reduce the thickness a little. The teeth don't seem to be set, and this can cause the blade to stick when cutting wet wood.

Keith.

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
For years I used a Wilkinson Sword folding saw and this still cuts wood fast and easily, but recently got a Sandvic- very impressed. It's lighter (but just as tough) as the WS and locks open and closed (the WS only locked open). It cuts even better and you can get replacement blades as necessary- a great piece of kit. :super:

Blue Sky, Jim.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I use the larger bahco/sandvik bowsaw as pictured by Rapidboy around the yard, in my pack I carry an orange version of the laplander. Both very effective bits of kit.

I do find the saw on my swiss army knife hand too when I'm just out and about for a casual stroll.

Dave

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Dont know why this is, but im assuming theres a good reason?
The Bahco Laplander saws ive seen seem to come in two sizes.

Firstly the cheaper models sold on.

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/SAN396LAP.html
www.amazon.co.uk

[and various other sites mentioned in the BCUK forums] But on closer inspection, these are all seven and a half inch's long, whereas all the bahco laplander saws sold in the survival shops:

www.raymears.com
http://www.survivalschool.co.uk/shop2004.htm

are all nine inches long.

:?:

guess that extra inch and a half makes all the difference :roll:

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
I bought my Laplander from Tooled-up. I also picked up on the difference in stated size by Woodlore and Survival School and ended up calling Tooled-up and Woodlore for confirmation that they were in fact the same item. I spoke to a manager at Tooled-up who checked the Bahco catalogue and was assured that Bahco only produce one Laplander 396 model. They also assured me that the measurements they quote are taken from the Bahco catalogue. I called Woodlore for conformation that the model they sold was the Laplander 396 model, which they duly confirmed.

ranger

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I really think the Ultralite saw is of more use to me than the Laplander.
The Laplander looks like it would be great as a pruning saw (it's intended use) but for more serious work (sawing logs for the fire ) i think the Ultralite would be more capable.
Anyone tried both ?
RB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE