What sandpaper/oil to finish my carvings?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
Newby carving questions:

- Should I use more than one grade of sandpaper?
- What grade(s) of sandpaper should I use?
- What type(s) of sandpaper should I use?
- What oils could I use to seal the wood (and what are the pros and cons of the different types)?

If another thread exists with the info, please post a link as I couldn't find one.

Thanks,
Joel

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Don't do much carving myself, but the standard grades I have in are P40, P60 (for initial rough sanding), P120 (medium) and P240 (fine), all in bog-standard aluminium oxide wet'n'dry. You can get these in "selection packs" from any decent DIY store.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
If in doubt, use linseed oil.
It may not necessarily be the best oil for the job (though it may), but it won't be the wrong one either.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Depends on what you're carving....

Spoons that are going to be used for eating with use something like walnut oil. If it's general carvings like wood spirits etc then any type of oil like linseed or danish oil can be used.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
After using the finest grade of paper wet the wood to raise the grain, allow it to dry out and re-sand before applying the oil. This will give the smoothest finish.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
If you use sandpaper make sure to sand the item real smooth! I also use and have used sandpaper but the texture I like the most is the hand carved one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE