What Pans?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Green Dweller Beloved

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2007
Hampshire
Hi,

I'm in the market for some new pans as my aluminum billie cans are so warped now and the lids don't fit. I may buy a trangia set (27-6 poss) or maybe some Zebra Billy cans. :bluThinki

A friend has however said he's sure he heard that I shouldn't be using Aluminum on an open fire as its too hot and it may give of toxic fumes. Is this correct? I reckon the heat is responsible for warping them, but not sure abuot any fumes?

Also, if I by the Zebra Billy cans, does anyone know if they fit inside each other?
And if an open fire is not available what do you guys use for a heat source?

Cheers Guys, any help appreciated.

GDB

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Well, I have tried a trangia and didn't like it... it is good and indestrictible but I didn't like it.

I use a zebra billy can and after trying a number of things, I still keep coming back to it.

I just fitted a stainless rope bail arm and it's now fully lush. I cook on either an open fire or an Primus gravity stove and it's fast. I opt for the 16cm billy because I can get everything inside it... stove, gas, brew kit, noggin, washing stuff etc.

They will nest together if you take the inner bowl bit out and pimp the bail arm as I have.

Anyway, I've had mine pretty hot and no sign of warping at all - love 'em!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
A friend has however said he's sure he heard that I shouldn't be using Aluminum on an open fire as its too hot and it may give of toxic fumes. Is this correct? I reckon the heat is responsible for warping them, but not sure abuot any fumes?

Hmmm.... Sounds highly questionable to me. I've never heard of aluminum giving off toxic fumes, and I can't imagine how it could.

Now, teflon coated cookware might be a different matter - than can give off toxic fumes at high temperatures. Whether you can achieve high enough temperatures on a camp fire, and whether the fumes would be dense enough to cause illness (or death) might be debatable, but teflon (PTFE) can definitely give off extremely poisonous fumes if heated enough.

I suspect your friend has gotten confused between the now-debunked theory that aluminium cookware influences the development of Altzheimer's and the toxic potential of teflon.

Stainless is probably about the best option for camping cookware, unless you have a pack mule (in which case cast iron becomes possible) or a lot of money (in which case titanium might be worth considering).

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I don't use billy's at the moment except for the one provided with the Swedish army Trangia, which work fine over fires as well as on the meths burner. It is a bit heavy though. What I can say is that the 27-6 Trangia pans don't have lids or bail arms, making them useless for anything except the meths burner system they're designed for.

Hope this helps

Pablo

How about these?

http://www.survival-school.org/Defa...roductID=110&gclid=CLH98LzXsYwCFRo6EAodTUCfKA

No experience of them, just found them.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
>>What I can say is that the 27-6 Trangia pans don't have lids or bail arms, making them useless for anything except the meths burner system they're designed for.

I carry some bulldog clips and a bit of string. You can clip them to the rim of the pan and thread the string through the bulldog clip arms. It acts like a bail arm.

I quite like the trangia 25/27/round sets, esp the stainless steel ones which even allow a certain amount of baking. The nice thing about the trangia is that there are enough vessels that you can reserve the kettle for boiling water, and use the two round pans for rice/pasta and sauce. The frying pan is pants though, at least in frying pan mode, but makes a handy serving dish. If you're on your own then it's a bit overkill, but for groups of 2+ it pays its' weight.

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
I tend to go to my local recycling centre and get saucepans etc there, cut handle off if needed and wire on a loop. Replace as required.....

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
I know galvanised steel is highlt toxic when heating (welding etc) not heard the same about ally, although i do prefer stainles cookware, esy to keep clean etc, the downside being the weight.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
I use a zebra billy can and after trying a number of things, I still keep coming back to it.

I just fitted a stainless rope bail arm and it's now fully lush.
i have a 12 cm billy ans some wire but am finding it hard to remove the old handle, can you shed any light ?
leon

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Dremmel mate ;)

I also used the dremmel to cut the stainless wire for the handle... the tube I did with a hacksaw.

I guess, if you centrepunch the rivet holding the arm on, you could drill it out... 5mm drill should also make the hole a little bigger which was handy for me.

Cheers,

Joe

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
well i found it hard to centre punch it so i used a bench grinder instead, i have one side off and now for the other
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
well ive finished it but the handle seems to make the bily sit lop sided and wont let the lid sit properly :(
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE