What other hobbies do you practice other than bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
My other interests include:

Scouting
Live role playing
RPGs in general
Reading
Computer stuff
History
Map collecting/making
Prog rock and other music
my playstation!

My anti-interests include:
Commuting to central London, &
Working in central London!

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
music - i make music, gigs etc. run a small music label and an mp3 label
cycling
walking
reading / writing
computer programming
drinking (ale) - does that count as a hobbie ?
painting
sea fishing

Rick

Jun 26, 2005
Brighton
mainly eating, but also cooking (complements the eating), martial arts, outdoorsy stuff (camping, walking etc.), photography, art/ craft, reading, good lovin' (though it's more of a lifestyle.)

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
Not in any particular order!

bushcrafting, tai chi, qigong, complementary therapies, walking, woodwork, reading, martial arts, all types of shooting, instinctive long bow shooting, open canoes, photography, game fowl... Ahh better take a breath! no wonder I'm always exhausted, and theres a list of would like to do's....fly fishing, overland expeditions, scuba diving, knife making, leather working...Life is good!! and the journey is just so fanstastic!

I'm sure theres much, much more, when I would have time to think!

Best Regards,
:)

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
In no particular order:

Board sports predominantly surf and snow.
Scuba diving (with Lundy almost in my garden it would be silly not too.)
Aikido
snooping in rock pools
Climbing
and just started angling.

Looking at that list, its no wonder living in London for 8 years nearly drove me to insanity. And they are just the basics the list could go on but the rest are more things i read about as opposed to things i do.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
I think most of the others already alluded to this. Apologies if -

a. I am reading things into your words guys or
b. There was no allusion in it - it was blatant!

I'd confess to being hard pressed to fully define Bushcraft. It is very easy to lapse in to describing separate activities - canoeing, shooting, martial arts ( partic Tai Chi based systems ), climbing, camping etc - even the water fights with the kids ( liked that one! ).

For me Bushcraft is an outlook, state of mind if you like. It has commonality through everything else I do. Am I perfect? Is it in every single act I make? No - but that is down to my still learning rather than a deficiency in the process. The Native American Indian outlook of a Hoop of Life - all things linked and related seems apt to me.

Bushcraft is what I try to employ in the things I do whether its driving the car or attempting to feel and out think a Roe buck in the reeds ahead.

Utter drivel or make any sense?

PS -

Deer Stalking
General shooting/ riflecraft
Archery
Alternative energy, low impact living
Canoeing
Reading
Being a better partner and Dad than I was yesterday

Elliott

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2004
Dorset
Interested in lots not very good at any of it but:

Walking
Camping - rough, campsites, pub gardens etc (also with campervan)
Playing the 5 string Banjo
Music - all genres
Kayak Surfing
Kayak White Water
Kayak Sea
Open Canoeing
Cooking and obviously eating
The Family - brilliant wife and three under fives
Natural History
Sadly the evil T.V

Oh and did I mention paddling my boats (7 at last count - whats a garage for?)

Elliott

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
WOW
Not just me that tries to live life to the full then
i did look on the search thread and could not find anything like this and wanted to see the cross over of all the things that go on with us and like i said WOW

odin13

Forager
May 29, 2005
bristol, england
my main hobbies are bushcraft and playing guitar, but i also like, fishing, climbing, sailing, kayaking, archery(when i get the chance) and also playing warhammer.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Walking
Climbing
Canoeing
Astronomy
Shooting
Knife making
Bow making
Sax playing
Archery
Martial arts (though circumstances mean I'n not training at the mo)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Given up a few as I've aged but still enjoy:

Target shooting,rifle & black powder pistol.
Walking
Camping
Amature Radio
Foreign travel
Cross country skiing.
Trying to learn French

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I used to do a fair bit of climbing but don't get the time to be as good as I should be but I own a few motorbikes (a Motocrosser thats currently in bits, a 500 Motocrosser that I have converted to Supermoto and a 750 sportsbike) that I hoon about the lakes on :)

I spend the rest of my time doing my house up at the moment as I have done a loft conversion on it.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Other than Bushcraft?... OK here goes...

Spending time with our five amazing felines (Absolute tops)
Ethology (strictly non-experimental, in the field studies only)
Wildlife and Woodland Preservation
Developing and maintaining our Wildlife Garden and catering for it's ever increasing number of inhabitants.
Plantlore (but that's Bushcrafty innit)
Quality testing Remy Martin. Must make sure they keep the standards up ;)
Learning about Synesthesia. Have a few very minor experiences my self. So I'm fasinated by what other people experience.
Exploring Dark Age History and Mythology (in an undiciplined random sort of way)
Ocasionally getting creative - bad sketches, poems etc
Astronomy/Planetary Science/Cosmology (mostly armchair these days)
Natural Science.
Feet up, watching a good film or a TV session but more and more infrequently of late.
Digital Photography
Geocaching
Investigating the origins and possibilities of almost everything.

Pretty much everything on the list is connected with the Natural World in some way.
I could go on but I expect you're raising some serious ZZZZZZZs by now :D

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I enjoy target shooting historical firearms. Ironically I am fatiqued with the entrenched ongoing social battle pro and con and have no desire to shoot man or beast unless utterlly compelled to. The USA has become the resting place for much of the world's old arsenals. Occasionaly a piece will have a tangable link to it's history. A few decades ago a company bought up all the old Mauser Broomhandle pistols from China. One of the owners recalled them from his childhood with pre WW2 missionary parents, particularly one soldier with a long red piece of silk tied to the lanyard ring. I worked for them when the first box of tired old guns was opened. In the second layer was a broom with faded red silk tied to the ring. I came into a Webley MkVI with an officer's name and regiment inscribed on the grips. I was able to trace the officer's family and had a delightfull correspondence learning how it was at Dunquirk retreating and later Normandy attacking. The son had immigrated to the USA and now has the revolver. My favourite though had to be an old MK3*1 SMLE BSA made in 1916 with the fully adjustable sights, magazine cutoff and volley sights soon deleted for rapid manufacture. It even had the rare barbed wire snippers on the musslecap. I was going through a very slow restoration, stripping ancient cosmolene and found a rolled up letter plastered to the cleaning kit well in the buttstock. A afternoon at the L.A. museum ( I worked as an unpaid research docent cataloging older indian collections) restored it to legibility. it was a rather amorous letter to a Tommie from a 'lady' in Paris :eek:

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I have many interests, and love to learn many things but for me at present with my limited time the only one thats active is Scouting.

Through it I get my limited outdoor fix and get to sometimes practise my bushcraft skills.

This will be changing this summer as plan to quit and concentrate on learning purely bushcraft and returning to the martial arts. Bushcraft is so varied i have come to the conclution that it is the only hobby I have time for.

The martial arts is just something I have always done(mainly Ninpo and Jujutsu) and I miss it?(stopped trainning two years ago to concentrate on being married and being the best husband I can be. Still trying)

I love art, history, geography and natural history and funnlly they are all to be found in Bushcraft. So bushcraft is what I hope to make my Hobby.

James

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
hmm, well I go hillwalking, but as Simon Barnes wrote "I don't go birdwatching, I am birdwatching" more of a state of being than a particular activity... I'm always aware of birds and bird activity... teaching a tricky technique on the mats today, I was also aware of the buzzard calling over the building and had to stop myself from pointing it out to the others.. when driving I can alarm passengers when I point out birds etc from my peripheral vision..
I was wondering whether I could say the same about bushcraft... but decided that it was maybe taking things too far... but again a lunchtime walk along the riverbank from work always turns up something bushcrafty, whether it's tracks in the dust, wild plants coming into flower.. the amount of sloe berries on the hedges... it's definitely possible to have something bushcrafty going on when out and about... or can it only be bushcraft if I've got a fixed blade knife, a metal mug and a Swannie? ;)

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Oakleaf said:
For me Bushcraft is an outlook, state of mind if you like. It has commonality through everything else I do. Am I perfect? Is it in every single act I make? No - but that is down to my still learning rather than a deficiency in the process. The Native American Indian outlook of a Hoop of Life - all things linked and related seems apt to me.

PS -

Deer Stalking
General shooting/ riflecraft
Archery
Alternative energy, low impact living
Canoeing
Reading
Being a better partner and Dad than I was yesterday

I'm with you Oakleaf:)

Add in; growing my own food; cooking and eating my own food; making stuff; building a house; looking after my animals and trying generally to do as little harm to things as I can - I don't actually have much free time!

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE