What other hobbies do you practice other than bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
For example
I walk
Climb
Shoot Both Air gun and Shot gun
Clay pidgeon and rough and the odd game shoot day
Scuba Dive
Camping if with the lovely missus
tinker with leather
Scouting
love being outside
What floats your boat in that wee small time thats left!

M

marcja

I have a another hobby that's a whole world away from Bushcraft, me and the mrs show and breed Boxer dogs under the kenel name of Boxsta and we are UK Kennel Club registered and accredited breeders.

We have four at the moment, two bitches that are producing really well for us. One young dog (who we own in partnership with someone else) that's due to hit the show ring in August this year and the other dog (the star of the show) is two in September and has qualified for Crufts for the second year running. He has also taken Best of Breed in several open & championship shows.

All in all I can happily say that we are doing fairly well.

stormy

Jun 12, 2005
e. sussex
well i dont actually practice bush craft (stop glaring) well i do and i dont, i do in my own back yard, does that count.
hobbys, ok gardening, nope sorry thats just what i have to do.
ok i paint wild birds, thats a hobby, sort of.
i write poetry
and i enjoy the odd water fight with the kids.
i make pictures out of bits of wood.
i suppose encouraging wildlife into my garden is a hobby.
oh and i do enjoy beach combing.
i like walking, when i have the time.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Bushcraft kind of revolves around most of what I do, whether work or play. For work I make stuff from greenwood to sell and I carve treespirits for fun, but I sell them as well so it's also work.

I make lots of rustic and primitive stuff for living history, now that's a hobby, but from the hobby comes bookings to do training and demonstrations, so that's work.

Sometimes when I'm doing a demonstration day, I'll light a campfire with flint and steel and boil up a kettle for a cuppa. It's only when I hear a round of applause when the fire lights that I realise I have an audience that's probably never seen it before. I also make pan stands for camp fires from welded horseshoes. That started as a hobby but people buy them now so it's work. See what i mean? I can't really separate them anymore.

My guitar is a hobby. I used to sing for pints in the pubs back in the late sixties and early seventies but now I just play for fun.

I've been doing this stuff for so many years now it's all merged together. I'm fifty three years old and I started learning bushcraft skills when I was ten or eleven.although I didn't call it bushcraft then - it was wild camping/ rough dossing and being too poor to afford a tent or sleeping bag. I loved the outdoors however so I just figured out how to build natural shelters, make fire by friction, sleep with a blanket roll, and on cold nights how to stuff a folded and pinned blanket with dry grass for added insulation. I learned how to snare rabbits, poach and tickle trout and avoid the gamekeepers. I suppose you could call them hobbies, but to me they were just what being young and living life was all about. Back then I could walk to the end of my street with a blanket roll across my back and an old gas mask bag over my shoulder, stick my thumb out and get a lift to wherever in a few minutes. I never felt in danger and never got into trouble. Cant't do stuff like that these days, at least not in the same way. Health and safety would go crackers now if they saw some of the stuff I used to do. Try climbing with a hemp rope and no safety line. Abseiling off a V diff using the classic abseil, or an Italian hitch at best. Hell, we just did it because nothing beter or safer had been developed.

Sorry, had my nostalgic head on there for a moment.

Eric

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
stormy said:
ok i paint wild birds, thats a hobby, sort of.
What colour do you paint them, and do the RSPB know? :)
Seriously, my other hobbies include blade making, and an interest in primitive technologies such as the atlatl and bow and flint knapping. All of which I am poor at and I would consider bushcrafty anyway.
I grow veggies and brew beer.
I suppose my main interest outside of bushcraft is bicycles, mountainbikes mostly but road bikes are good too.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
Well, other than bushcraft I have a few other hobbies, but most of them aren't really out-doorsy, and I've recently had to put them aside due to my A-Level exams (but I'm freeeeee now!)

First and foremost, I enjoy music; be that playing it on guitar and electric bass, listening to CDs, or going to gigs. I also enjoy playing computer games (what can I say, I'm definitely a child of my time) and, evidently, surfing this here interwebnet. I also enjoy artistic persuits such as drawing and painting (although not too much of late) and my music, and also academic challenges such as computer programming, mathematics, and, although largely unsuccessfully, language learning... but that's just because I'm a geek.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Eric_Methven said:
I carve treespirits for fun
i'd like to see those Eric!

I like to
Fish Fly and Sea and to Shoot Air Gun and Shot Gun
Kayaking
Photgraphy
Rowing Swiming sailing and otherwise spening time in on or around the sea/river

think there was a thread like this before.. :cool:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Scouting takes up most of my spare time, but I try and get a lot of crossover with bushcraft.
I climb, never been very good but I enjoy it, not been able to do that for 12 months since I hurt my shoulder but I still coach/instruct, its easier to talk about than do! :eek:
And doing stuff with my kids another crossover :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Like Eric many of my hobbies have become work crossovers.
Costume making is now a business, and spinning, weaving and natural dyeing all are mostly used for teaching and demonstrating. Even the natural cordage and traditional plant uses has become 'work'. I garden and make traditional lotions and potions but that has become incorporated into the work I do for historic Scotland.
I also make 12th scale miniatures and have a fascination with modular and mathematical origami. I teach both of these occasionally too.
I sew comstantly, from garments to embroidery......I *don't* do curtains!!
I also draw and paint botanical illustrations.....but that's just for fun and my own aide memoire :)

Cheer,
Toddy

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
HTML:
the natural cordage and traditional plant uses has become 'work'. I garden and make traditional lotions and potions but that has become incorporated into the work I do for historic Scotland

Do you fly on a broomstick and have a black cat? :D

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Did someone mention a blackcat?

For me it's field archery

Really enjoy the 3d shooting

Between that and work I can occasionally fit in some reading .... and a bit of bushcrafti worship

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
My other hobbies, other than bushcraft ... hmmm none, I have no live ;) :D
I've got a very diverce interest ..., for example:
- Reading
- Being outside (bushcraft, walking, camping, etc.)
- (Ice) skating in winter (when there is ice though)
- Swimming / scuba diving
- Antiques (especially paintings)
- Genealogy & heraldry
- Women (since I'm single again :D)
- Travelling (abroad)
- Playing golf
- Cycling
- Hang around with my mates
- et cetera

Ooh and above all The Forum :D ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Goose said:
HTML:
the natural cordage and traditional plant uses has become 'work'. I garden and make traditional lotions and potions but that has become incorporated into the work I do for historic Scotland

Do you fly on a broomstick and have a black cat? :D

No, the moggie is grey & white.....and why would I need a broomstick? :D ;)

Cheers,
Toddy

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Good thread - lots of common interests here!

For me other than bushcraft its -

Shooting - airgun, shot gun & rimfire, for the pot or target (including clays)
Landrovering - non competetive but a bit of a play at various events, and a bit of green laning.
Kayaking - got back into this after about a 14 year gap on account of my step-son
Geocaching - great for seeing places in a different light.
Hillwalking
Tinkering in the shed - often linked into bushcraft.
Add in a bit of reluctant gardening (the antithesis of bushcraft - gardeners hate nettles, celandine, thistles etc!)
Also I've just started looking around car boot sales - amazing what you can get for nearly nothing!

Its surprising though how the bushcraft mind-set crosses into so much of the other stuff, probably for the better I think.

Dave

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
Ok, here goes:

Historical re-enactment / living history. I've done most time periods from Iron age celt through to second world war. Currently playing with a C15 jousting team.
Horse riding - just getting back into it after 10 years off. Now where did those muscles go?
Music - listening often and also annoying the neighbours by playing guitar, tenor sax and TIN WHISTLE. (not all at the same time though :) )
shooting - air rifle and muzzle loading flintlock. Both for target and some bunny bopping.
shooting - longbow archery (including making my own arrows)
shooting - sling (not catapult, although I have one of those too - just can't hit anything with it.)
woodwork - mostly making medieval furniture, but wood carving when I can.
Photography - more so since I got a digital snapper and don't have to lug the 35mm/120 rigs around.
A little Geocaching - originally just to get my son off the computer and into the great outdoors. That worked better than I hoped, and now he's into bushcrafty type things too. :D

...and in my spare time, I try to hold down a job. :eek:

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
Can someone define free time?????

When I get any I do things like metal detecting, Gold panning and looking for other minerals and fossils, Painting, Used to do alot of shooting and things like hang gliding but not any more.

If I put some of the other things I do someone will take this post off but they include writing political analysis for certain groups, Going to the pub, seeing some of my women friends and some rather strange experiments with electronics.

I also do magic with cards, and some more dramatic stuff that messes peoples heads up a bit.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Well there are some tallented folk on here.

My hobbies are quite diverse but I find that some of them are seasonal.

The main ones are drumming/music, I play in a rock band a couple of times a month, astronomy, reading - mostly outdoor subjects, Scottish and ancient history, pencil drawing, whittling/carving, walking and the occasional bit of metal detecting.
Eric maybe you could give me a few pointers on carving.
Most of my spare time is spent with my family and I find that I can entertain my kids while doing some of my hobbies, especially Bushcraft activities, so it's the best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers

JFW

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
for me,

I have two professions that are also my hobbies, one archaeology (I am an archaeological scientist) and also a software engineer. So when I cannot get computer work or need a break I go back to field work prodding soil. For me everything comes into archaeology, it is a huge diverse subject, so my interest in bushcraft plays into archaeology. I think about how our ancestors may have done something, see how our near ancestors did it from historic evidence and then try and join the bits together. If I do not know then I know people who think they do (the re-enactment people) and ask them.

Besides this I mainly enjoy hillwalking, scrambling and trekking.
I also do a bit of running and fell running (just for fun really).
One of my passions is astronomy of which can be applied under any sky anywhere in the world ( to a point) and again can play into bushcraft.

When not doing any of that I try and relax with a good book............

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Time is the most elusive commodity, however when there is some;

Music - live gigs and my own little recording studio
Field Archery - compound and instinctive
Kayaking
air rifle shooting
being outdoors as often as possible
Reading, mostly fantasy when sitting for hours a day communting to work

and of course practicing my BC skills

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE