Bushcraft day out: what to do?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
dgcalvert,

Here's a start list:

• Take a guide book to ID trees, flowers.
  • Take a wander away from the public paths,but walk quietly or sit in the woods to see what you can see wildlife wise
  • Look for animal tracks/feeding signs
  • Take your folder and whittle away some tent pegs or a spoon with some dead wood
  • Look around for a suitable place to make a shelter (you don't have to actually make one)
  • Find a suitable place for a tarp camp (again you don;t actually have to set one up)
  • Make a brew on a meths stove
  • If you've got a hammock, set it up (away from public paths) and go to sleep (my favourite bushcraft past-time)
  • Make some nettle cordage (no-one will mind you taking a few nettle stems)
  • Build a tripod stand for a rucksack (3 pieces of straight dead wood fastened with your nettle cordage)
  • Practice making a pot hanger
I think that will do for starters and all legal.

Reference permissions: The only thing you can do is ask...ask..ask. Ask passers-by (you get great local info from them. (I actually bumped into an old woodsman who planted most of the wood once. What a great few hours I had!) and knock on doors. After an initial scepticism, a big smile and a good introduction will normally get you the name of a local farmer or landowner.

Pablo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE