What on earth is this animal part?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay I recently bought a box of "animal bits" because I wanted the cow horns in it. Included was the following item.

Its large (c. 10")

It was once large (the end was sawn off)

Its dense (weighs 550g)

Its hollow at one end and solid at the end that appears to have been sawn off

It has the look of some sort of tooth or tusk but I'm guessing

Anyone have a clue what it is?

Size by British Red, on Flickr

Grain by British Red, on Flickr

Closed End by British Red, on Flickr

Open End by British Red, on Flickr

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My guess is same as yours - a tooth or a tusk. I was wondering about walrus ivory, or one of the toothed whales, but the truth is, I don't know. Hippo tooth?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I fear the guinea pig this came from :)

I did wonder about hippo.....far too big for boar.....walrus is a thought though!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
....interesting

Tup_Hippo_tusks.jpg

The following is a small selection of the hippo ivory that we usually keep in our shop.
It is an excellent ivory for use in knife handles, as well as for carvings and many other
uses. It is also a great way to invest in ivory, which is an ever-decreasing supply. Since
we are able to obtain this ivory directly from the African game preserves, we can offer
it to you at a much lower price than at which it is normally seen.

Our hippo ivory sizes range from around 7" to 9 1/2" and larger. These tusks range from $45.00 to $80.00 each.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Brilliant info on the tusk ID Mark. I would go out on a limb though and say not Boar

Adult males develop tusks, continuously growing teeth that protrude from the mouth, from their upper and lower canine teeth. These serve as weapons and tools. The upper tusks are bent upwards in males, and are regularly ground against the lower ones to produce sharp edges. The tusks normally measure about 6 cm (2.4 in), in exceptional cases even 12 cm (4.7 in).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_boar

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If we conclude that it is a hippo tusk, I guess the next question is "what, if anything, is it good for?"

(oh and there is another item in the box that is even more random!)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If we conclude that it is a hippo tusk, I guess the next question is "what, if anything, is it good for?"

(oh and there is another item in the box that is even more random!)

Probably not a lot as you've got the end where the nerve was so there's a limited amount of solid material.

Having said that You could use the rings if sliced up for buckles etc

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It wasn't - I suspect its very old and the seller had no idea of what it was any more than I do :eek:. Knife scales is an interesting thought.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmm - I'd hate to break any regs - I wonder what I should do with the items to be sure they are legal?

Wildlife officer?

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
It looks like you have a bit of a hippo tusk there alright. I won't say it is too big to be a boar, because there are some real monsters out there, but it doesn't quite seem the right shape.

It would make a lovely skrimshaw, if you're into that. It might be a bit of a waste to try for your first time though. I hope you get to turn it into something nice :)

I'm not sure if hippo tusks are covered by the same laws as other ivory, but I would do a bit of googling to avoid getting into bother.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm in correspondence with the seller to establish origins and provenance - I certainly won't do anything until I'm sure its okay to do so.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think you may have it there Sean - the groove and cross section looks spot on

warthog-tusk-large-25cm.jpg

Are you fairly sure? I would be pleased because Warthog tusks are not covered by CITES

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE