What oil ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Hey guys , I just came home from the woods , it was raining and all my tools got wet (that's what she said) so I cleaned them and oiled , I was wondering , what oil do you guys use on you knives , axes and saws ?
Guns? (if you have)

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I personally don't oil unless tools are going into storage. Or I'm expecting that they may get damp.
I think as long as they are getting used, cleaned and dried properly they don't need it.
Previously I've mainly used mineral oil but I've also used a light coat of Vaseline, olive oil, bicycle oil and some very old honing oil.
It's just to provide a barrier to water and oxygen (to prevent oxidation) so any oil will work in a pinch, though some may eventually go off.
If you are going to use the tools for food prep stick to food grade mineral oil or similar.

Pioneer72

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2016
Shropshire
I give things a squirt of Camellia oil from time to time. It is quite a thin oil so doesn't go gloopy/sticky like other more sturdy oils.
Stuff kept in a damp shed and used infrequently really does need a bit of TLC sometimes, whether they got wet on an outing or not.
Also important to dry out sheaths & cases properly.

Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
Almost any oil will do. Light mineral is ideal.

If knife 'for food prep, then something food safe.
The Camellia mentioned above (Japanese Tsubaki) is top of the pile.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I generally just dry them off and smear with Vaseline on a cotton ball, the ball then goes into the tinder bag. I am also careful not to 'store' them in wet/damp sheaths or protectors.

D.B.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Camilia oil every time - yes it is more expensive but as a light oil, a little goes a long long way and it is food safe and since it is light it doesn't result in a gunky tool.

If I was storing things for some time, I'd use a heavier oil or vasaline or a rub down with paraffin wax (candle stub) works well and washes off fairly easily with hot water the next time you come to take it out of storage.

jaffcat

Nomad
Sep 26, 2012
Hertford
No guns here, everything else is wiped with olive oil. I keep a tiny hip flask with some in so I can use it for cooking and blade protection... As most of my knives are used in food prep it makes sense to me.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
My preference is camelia, as its food safe, acid free and good for protecting wood, leather and steel. A very light sheen goes a long way and doesn't tend to go sticky with age. Other than that a bit of beeswax on the wood and leather has always worked too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Guns: Ballistol or Remington oil. Molybdenium grease on some insude parts
Fishing reels: Rocket Oil and Molybdenium grease
Knives: food oil or mineral oil. Does not matter what oil to be frank.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Answer: clean all blades. Thoroughly wash and dry all blades. Keep warm to make certain that the last of the water film
has a chance to dry off. Various oil rag wipes on the warm metals, store in a warm dry place.
All metals get the same treatments.

+1 Janne
I have peices of flannel cloth, old clothing, that have drips of light machine oil added. Just your average oily rag.

All guns get stripped, dried, inspected and wiped down with the rag. Moly grease inside on springs and hinges.
Wood carving tools get a rag wipe as well.

The deal is, I want to use a mineral oil, an oil which won't oxidize and go gummy over months in the gun cabinet.

All carbon steel kitchen edges get a wipe with canola oil on a paper towel.
S/S edges get wiped dry, never bother with the oil.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I've used various oils over the years and the only one that I had a problem with was olive oil which allowed a bit of rust. Now I use silicone oil because apparently it doesn't degrade the o-rings in air rifles but I use it on everything. It's especially fun on laminate flooring!

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I use sewing machine oil for my guns , thats what all of the USSR did , I used that on my tools also , I dont use this knife for food so no worries.
Thanks for all of your replies though !

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Any mineral oil or grease I happen to have access to then and there.
Gun oil for the shotgun.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE