What not to do

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrPhil

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2009
East Coast of Kent, UK
...snip...
thought exactly the same and i know if that was me id feel really left out

So how about we come up with pointers to correct the mistakes we can see? If he is a member then atleast this thread is constructive.

Why does the birch bark start to peal back? I assume its part of the growing process of the tree, as the tree grows new layers formed inside the trunk then the outer layer splits and peals. As it peals it dries and makes for good tinder, any layer further down will still be wet and presumably part of the essential defences of the tree.

I seem to remember birch bark being harvested with a knife like in the video by RM when he attempted to make a canoe, but that tree was a lot older/bigger - I suppose had a thicker outer layer and could be harvested in that way.

[Sorry if its a bit bitty, bad headache and can't think straight tonight]

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The idea of cooking anything still in its can was brought up when I was a Scout many moons ago and then we was told about the bad things that would happen to us after eating the contents.

I seem to remember it was something to do with the coatings that was put inside the can to stop the contents from eating it away - probably like the cola and the coin trick.

Was I told right does anyone know?

A lot of tins are coated to stop the foods corroding the tin.
I believe some of the hype stems from the bpa contained in the coating, which is chemically, very similar to eostrogen. This causes all sorts of probs apparently, especially in the younger generation. Backpacking lite did an investigation into it/. If the coating burns, it will release all sorts of nasties into the food.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE