What makes a good fire striker for fire steel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 13, 2012
Abermule
Hi,

I've bought a couple of fire steels from ebay and got one with my bushcraft knife, but struggling to get a good striker, the one's from ebay come with a standard piece of hack saw blade but some I've seen seem to come with a better striker that is a flat piece of metal with the sides trimmed down to rest all the way down the fire steel....

Has anyone made their own striker and what is the best readily available metal to use?

Hope someone can help...

Regards

Dave.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi,

I've bought a couple of fire steels from ebay and got one with my bushcraft knife, but struggling to get a good striker, the one's from ebay come with a standard piece of hack saw blade but some I've seen seem to come with a better striker that is a flat piece of metal with the sides trimmed down to rest all the way down the fire steel....

Has anyone made their own striker and what is the best readily available metal to use?

Hope someone can help...

Regards

Dave.

All you need is a sharp / straight edge on the back of your knife. Any material (metal) will do, as long as it's got an edge that capable of scratching of material from the fire steel (ferrocium rod I assume, not flint and steel). IIRC you can even use a piece of glass to get sparks.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
No two makes of firesteel ever seem to be the same - some spark really easily, but the sparks are quite cool, others are seriously hard to get sparks from but make very hot sparks when they do.

About the best 'striker' I've found is the back of an Opinel No. 8 in carbon steel - gives you a nice strong handle to hang onto too.

Jul 13, 2012
Abermule
I've tried an opinel knife and I don't seem to get much luck from it....

I run a Scout troop and it's quite frustrating when trying to demonstrate it and I struggle, how am I mean't to get the Scouts to do it!!

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Piece of flint does the business very well indeed.

Shark tinderbox also make some very nice little forged steel ones that are extremely effective. The little "can opener" style ones that come with many ferrocium firesteels really aren't up to much.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I've tried an opinel knife and I don't seem to get much luck from it....

I run a Scout troop and it's quite frustrating when trying to demonstrate it and I struggle, how am I mean't to get the Scouts to do it!!

Sounds to me as though you have a harder type of firesteel and you might be moving the striker a little too quickly - is it bright and shiny or dull in appearance? If it's quite dull is it possible the protective coating hasn't been removed yet?

The best technique I've found is to just scrape the last 2cms or so of the steel with the squarest section of the back of the opinel, do it hard and quite slowly and deliberately with a bit of a flick at the end - I'll see if I can get a video of what I mean for you.

Jul 13, 2012
Abermule
Sound of it is still quite dull, I thought the faster the better because it causes more friction...

I'll try to slow it down, they only generally give you a small bit of hack saw blade which makes it quite tricky to hold...

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
The ferrocium material the rods are made of becomes extremely flammable when it is shaved into microscopic little slivers. That is what you are aiming for - scraping some off with sufficient friction that it will then ignite.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
As Ahjno said any piece of metal will do as long as it has a sharp edge and capable of scraping metal. It does not need to be a blade edge, just needs a corner on it. If you are using the back of your knife, experiment with the angle that you are scraping the back of your knife along the steel. A piece of hacksaw blade is also normally a good striker, just experiment with the way you use it. Like most Bushcraft skills it needs practice to get the right technique.

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
, they only generally give you a small bit of hack saw blade which makes it quite tricky to hold...

That could be part of the problem. I find hacksaw blades work best when you hold them just far enough up from the edge so that they bend enough for the edge to bite into the rod. Same thing with the pressed metal strikers you sometimes get. I also find with both that some parts of the edge will work and others parts aren't sharp enough. You can put a new edge on a bit hacksaw by breaking the tip off with a couple of pairs of pliers.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Quite a nice looking bit of kit.... do you use it with a piece of flint or the mass produced fire steels?

The flint that was supplied, it works like a charm. I do get odd look's from Group leaders when I pull out a soldering iron put it atop a printer and strike a spark then solder a joint on a dot matrix A3 printer, thats broken again when they load paper into it.

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
For me personally it's about two inches of hacksaw blade which I place on my flat fingers. Then I press it with thumb and forefinger with about half an inch of the blade sticking out. Then I press it into the rod at an angle of about forty five degrees, about an inch up the rod, when the hacksaw begins to flex I pull it along the rod like striking a match.

Edit: that last bit I use my shoulder muscles to strike, and pull the rod back while keeping the blade as still as possible. That helps to stop you from disturbing the tinder with the striker.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
For the ferro rods you need to press quite firmly with the striker. You really are shaving bits of metal off an alloy rod.

A while back I did a group buy on some strikers and they really are good, but of course they're made for the purpose. All the edges have sharp corners. They're cheap enough.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84583

Of the oddments from the workshop that I've tried as strikers I've found that the best is the broken edge of an all-hard high-speed steel blade. (They're the more expensive ones that are often painted blue, grey or green, but not the even more expensive bi-metal ones.) Because they're all hard they're rather brittle, and when they break the broken edges have very sharp corners. Not sharp as in razor blade, but sharp as in a 90 degree corner with virtually no rounding. Usually one of the broken edges is convex and the other concave, so I use the concave bit. You sometimes see large blades for machine hacksaws (an inch or more deep as opposed to about half an inch for a hand tool) and if you can get one of them it will make a good striker. The hacksaw blade pieces (usually blackened) that are supplied with many ferro rods aren't really up to much, the metal isn't as hard and the corners aren't usually really sharp.

People talk about using the spine of your knife. If you have a knife made, many makers will ask you if you want a spine with sharp corners. Otherwise, most knives have rather rounded corners on the spine. I can only think of two of my knives that have sharp spines. A spine with rounded corners is much more comfortable on the hands for things like push cuts than one with sharp corners, but it won't strike sparks well, if at all, from a ferro rod. I prefer a spine with rounded corners. I don't like using a knife for this purpose anyway, the sparks when you do get them are easily hot enough to melt little pits in steel. I usually have a couple of strikers of some sort stashed in my kit somewhere, or in a pocket.

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
Adze, sorry to be hypercritical when you've gone to the trouble of making that video, but why do you have that Opinel open. It works as well with the knife closed, especially for scouts. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE