Fire Striker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

silverpac64

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2021
biddulph moor
Sorry if this has already been disgust .I am after purchasing a fire striker ,steel , for flint and steel . Have seen some on fleabay for under £8 Viking style . Just want to know if they are any good or if they are a good price ? any help , advice welcome or any one selling let me know . All the best Phil . Ps where's a good place to search for flint around Derbyshire bordering staffs moorlands .

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Not really enough info there to say whether the particular strikers you have found are good or not.

I once saw Mors Kochanski demonstrate striking sparks off a particularly cheap brand of all hard carbon steel hacksaw blade. From standing, he had sparks hitting the floor. I have had no luck finding similar blades. I just use a bit of file with the teeth ground off one side.

I would be interested to hear if there is any flint within dozens of miles of your Derbyshire moorland. The geological survey maps for the UK are interesting stuff. Flint is present in places that are not listed, but typically they are areas that do state that they have clay soils, such as south Leicestershire.

Do you have any friends or family that you could tap to bring you a lump of their local stone?

There are places that do not have flint. That was why it was a stone-age trade good.

Chris

Reactions: silverpac64

silverpac64

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2021
biddulph moor
Not really enough info there to say whether the particular strikers you have found are good or not.

I once saw Mors Kochanski demonstrate striking sparks off a particularly cheap brand of all hard carbon steel hacksaw blade. From standing, he had sparks hitting the floor. I have had no luck finding similar blades. I just use a bit of file with the teeth ground off one side.

I would be interested to hear if there is any flint within dozens of miles of your Derbyshire moorland. The geological survey maps for the UK are interesting stuff. Flint is present in places that are not listed, but typically they are areas that do state that they have clay soils, such as south Leicestershire.

Do you have any friends or family that you could tap to bring you a lump of their local stone?

There are places that do not have flint. That was why it was a stone-age trade good.

Chris
thanks for that . i was pondering on an old file , as for the flint I have no idea , wondered if there may be river flint ? dont want to spend hours searching in the streams if it dont exist . all the best .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE