What Lavuu/Tipi/Kata?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chasseur

May 16, 2010
Ireland
Starting to think about a tipi. just saw friends with a super one at the weekend (top of the range polycotton job, all the bells and whistles, stove etc., cost more than our car). I was perusing the web and there are lot of makes and variants, some expensive, some less so. Interested to know what people are using, what the price range was, and various good points/bad points/regrets/major selling points. Some photos of your tipi in action would be cool too.

So go on, get yer tipis out...!:D

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Helsport work for me.

Varanger Camp 8-10 for winter months, stove, bed, table.......

MyVaranger8-106_zpsbfd83b16.jpg

Lavvulight - for solo trips....

MySetUp2_zps524125ae.jpg

Shaving of the head and face not a requirement......

Take a trip to Oslo and get the tax back:

http://www.xxl.no/villmark/telt-og-lavvo/lavvo/c/200204

Or wait for a great deal from here:

http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PBSCCatalog.asp?ActionID=67174912&PBCATID=1480069&PBCATName=Tents - Tipi / Lavvu Style

I have done both. Timing is of the essence.

Last edited:

Chasseur

May 16, 2010
Ireland
I am now the proud owner of a pre-loved Helsport varanger 8-10.
It is the canines gonads.
Thank you to everyone who responded and especially the member who went to great lengths to get me set up. A credit to this forum.

many thanks again.

Aug 27, 2014
Ireland
Just curious but they sell outer tents, Is an inner tent necessary with them as well like the scout islandics that required a seperate fly ???? Im new to the concept of canvas so please take it easy on me.

Chasseur

May 16, 2010
Ireland
Hi Patmac,
Been using our new tipi for almost a month now. Very happy with it. I reckon condensation would be an issue in winter. We just bought the helsport inner to go inside the tipi. I have never used a tipi before but my experience with canvas tents in the past tells me you will be much warmer with a liner. Canvas is great as long as you don't have to carry it. You need to watch for mildew during storage, but same for nylon tents in the scheme of things...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE