What knife?

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
I used a number of knifes I find that the Mora companion is very good, but I want a heavier knife that can do light chopping, battoning, and heavier work in general, I want the knife to be about 4.1/2-5.1/2" in length with the weight needed to chop small trees.

What do you use to do heavier work?

I have about £60 and about £20 for a new sharpening tool, my DC4 is well used, although I have found a black sharpening stone with a wooded base that seems to get my mora very sharp. Shaves hairs in knuckles before even stropping. But unfortunately it's cracked in the middle now.

Last edited:

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Look no further....Esse 5, beast of a knife and fits right into your stated preferred blade length, weighs 1lb undressed.

Have a look here

www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk

Or our old favourite

www.heinnie.com

Edit:- Should have read post properly, above budget sorry, great knife anyway

If I had the spare money I would buy it, but I don't at the moment.

I was originally going to buy the Magnum Camp Bowie but cannot find it on Heinnie Haynes anymore.

Last edited:

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
2nd hand Becker BK2 might be a good bet if you can find one, you will struggle to find a knife heavy enough for chopping with a 4 1/2-5" blade length, Esse 5 and BK 2 are exceptionally heavy for their size due to .25" blade stock. Have a look at the Condor range at Heinnie's, Closer to your budget and decent gear for the price.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've got a variety of tools I use; usually an axe, hatchet or machete for chopping. I have a few bigger knives, but TBH anything less than a khukuri or a long, heavy bowie just doesn't have the weight to "chop." You can use a chopping motion with smaller knives but you're really just whittling the tree down.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Done the same myself.
Think you might struggle to chop with a blade so short.
How about a MOD survival knife, maybe a little bigger than you asked for but bomb proof and will outlast the user.

My friend has a very well used one, chunks missing from the blade, blunt as heck, and still was a pretty good chopper, I like it.

Will the Magnum bowie be good enough for light chopping, I just want a heavier, knife that can be used and abused.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE