What knife?

F

faye

I'm looking to purchase a good general purpose knife for bushcraft skills. I'm a female and don't really want to be handling a machete! Any recommendations?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The best advice I could give would be to borrow a few and see what YOU actually like the best before you buy one.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Aye welcome
get a Mora though
A great first knife that you will find outperforms other more expensive options when you inevitably expand your collection

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi faye a good starter knife is a mora but the hultifors is a better knife for gripping and learning the different holds for different types of cuts,and its under a tenner regards dave
ps welcome to bcuk

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi Faye, welcome to the forum lass.

As already advised, a mora or a Hultafors would be your ideal starter knife. Lightweight, good blade, good reputation among folk who use knives as the tools they are. Can't go wrong. Best practice on these, and learn how to sharpen a scandi grind. Then when you know what you want/need in a knife, you could look at upgrading to something more aesthetically appealing. :)

Mora - £12
http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Mora-Knives/Mora-Companion-Carbon/p-92-304-7173/

Hultafors.- £6

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Hultafors-Knives/Hultafors-Heavy-Duty-Knife/p-92-913-6866/

I'm a knifemaker and can assure you that the tools listed above are very very good for the money.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Hello Faye & welcome to the forum.

I can only echo what HillBill has said, a Mora or Hultafors is a good starting place, beyond that as Arthur Daley once said, the world is your lobster. I've got a nice Helle Eggen which is a favourite and a Wilkinson Sword Woodlore I reaaly get on well with but I've had them both for a long time, before there was the real bewildering array of choice available now. Get to see and handle as many different knives as you can, get some cutting/carving experience and THEN make the bigger decision, from a more informed position.

Oh - and brace yourself for hundreds of different opinions. :lmao:

Dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Mora/Hultafors - cheap as chips for learning with so it is no drama chipping the edge, messing up a resharpening or plain losing it, lightweight, great steel ... the ideal first knife!
Although I have several custom knives and other good (expensive) knives I often use a Mora (OK re handled and re sheathed) and I use Moras for the basis of my customised knives for sale. I love them!
Part of my work is reviewing knives for the outdoor press and I have yet to find a better value knife for a first time bushy knife.
A couple of modded Moras
DSCF4091.jpg

DSCF4090-1.jpg

DSCF6460.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Mora classic No 1

fm190709bL.jpg

from Moonraker knives

I use a 2\0 as a neck \carving knife very capable small knife and priced way to low,

267995_10150329027699073_2860357_n.jpg

Takes a wicked keen edge and holds it very well indeed, easy to sharpen and feels great in use.
Yup - that is the best kind of Mora :)
Great to learn on and when you are ready - great for your first rehandling project :)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Don't forget the other (incredibly useful) item for bushcraft; a folding saw.

There are quite a few with a 6-8" blade. Lightweight, compact and so useful.

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
If you do not can right sharpen scandi blade.
Linder Super Edge I or Fallkniven F1.
Better handle, easy to sharpen, more secure, great all-round knife.
Worth any cent you spend.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello Faye :D and welcome to BcUK.

Lots of good advice, but I have to say, learn to strop whatever you do end up with, sharpening is rarely necessary, really only when heavily used or the edge is chipped. Too many good knives end up unnecessarily sharpened away to stilettos :rolleyes:

Favourite knives ........best advice is to do what was done for me when I joined the forum and asked what to upgrade my knife to. Get to know people and they'll offer to let you try theirs.

Failing that, think about what you actually want to use the knife for. Often a little folder is ample. Cheap as chips San Ren Mu ones are excellent :) and that's a very good point right there. Think about your budget. I have moras and they're very good, but I prefer my WM1, Helle polar, Spyderco bushcrafter, a Laplander blade Russ handled for me, as full sized but not ginormous knives. The Mora's are cheap, sound and reliable, but I do like the others :D

Most of the time the littler knives, that actually fit my hand comfortably with no hot spots or blisters, do everything necessary. The first two of those four are of of a size that some of the menfolks call them neckers, but a small knife used properly is every bit as capable as a big one that's a stuggle to hold for long hard use when it just doesn't fit the hand.

Lots of really good makers on here; I have smaller knives by Hillbill and Stew and AndyMac and would happily recommend all of them :D
That's not a definitive list, I hasten to add, just the knife maker's whose work I actually own and use.

Maybe a search through the reviews might help ?

For clarity.........I'm female and I take a 6 or 6.5 in a glove...........and I have a machete too :D Sometimes it's just the 'right' tool for the job :)

Hopefully some of the other females will see this thread and post :) Cyclingrelf, Xylaria, Cobweb, Firecrest, Iona, Darsha, Rosie, Sam......there are literally hundreds of us who actually use our knives who are members on the forum, and we all have varied interests and uses for them, from fungi to basketry, cordage & carving, food prep to skin prep and leatherwork.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. The wooden handled mora classic is an excellent knife :cool: and the advice about the folding saw (Laplander's are worth their weight in gold) is spot on too :D

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Hold on Toddy! (Checks in pants) Ive found....

What you need is a Japanese knife...or anything else sharp for that matter.

Mines just a generic laminated steel thing...I have also a Higonokami (a little penknife you hold open with your thumb.)

I have a Silky pocket boy saw...more money than a laplander but well worth it for effort saved.

its a pull saw...not everyone gets on with them, mind. Best see if you can try one before you buy. (All the tree surgeons have Silkys.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE