what knife?

Oct 24, 2011
Glasgow
Basically, i'm looking for a a cheap knife :) In an ideal world i would get the bear grylls ultimate knife, but its a bit pricy, anything like this on the market that your not paying for the label? thanks, richard :)

Oct 24, 2011
Glasgow
Just general stuff! im rather inexperienced so i want something thats all round! i wont be like carving or anything just something thats useful when your out and about :D i have a wee multi tool and single edged blad in my survival kit but doesnt do the job

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Basically, i'm looking for a a cheap knife :)

Look at Mora and/or Hultafors knives ~ good comfortable handles

In an ideal world i would get the bear grylls ultimate knife, but its a bit pricy,

Knives are personal taste ~ it got a good pounding and review on this forum from JonathanD.
My own (on this occassion, tactful) view is that the handle is wrong* for my hands, so try to borrow one before purchasing.

* I could feel where hot spots would form by just holding it in my hand :yikes: .

anything like this on the market that your not paying for the label? thanks, richard :)

Have a look at the Gerber range ;)

... and then go get a Mora/Hultafors :D

Last edited:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Just general stuff! im rather inexperienced so i want something thats all round! i wont be like carving or anything just something thats useful when your out and about :D i have a wee multi tool and single edged blad in my survival kit but doesnt do the job

I would get a good slipjoint pocket knife. The ALOX line of swiss army knives is a good place to start. Get one with a saw and you have something a bit more bushcrafty. Personally, I like a 2 or 3 blade slipjoint for the most options for cutting. Keep at least one blade with a razor thin edge and another with a steep secondary bevel for utility work.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Go for a Mora dude.

After a while you'll learn your own preferences and be able to make a better choice.

I have big hands but have a knife with a small handle, little nuances like that you'll learn whats best fit for you.

Go for a mora 137 lol

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I notice in your profile your 14, you would have an issue buying one as you have to be 18 (unless its a different law in scotland)

But my suggestion would be a mora, great first knife, i still have my mora clipper and use that a lot of the time.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
I notice in your profile your 14, you would have an issue buying one as you have to be 18 (unless its a different law in scotland)

But my suggestion would be a mora, great first knife, i still have my mora clipper and use that a lot of the time.

If it's non locking and under 3 inches he can......i think otherwise you'll have to beg your parents lol

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
i wont be like carving or anything just something thats useful when your out and about :D

To be honest mate if you aren't using it on wood then what are you going to do with it?

after all, shaping and working wood into usable camping related items (bushcraft..) is one of the main reasons for carrying a knife, that and cutting up your food.

If you just fancy a big knife to use responsibley when out in the woods or camping then have a look at the Mora range, infact ask your parent/guardian to buy you the Mora companion. You'll learn to use the knife and find that in time you'll want a knife that can carve into wood and do more than just be big and orange!

Other than that mate just be safe!

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I have just recently bought Mora knives for our Scouts from Clas Ohlsen at around £3.50 each.They arrive sharp and are easy to keep sharp.
My own son has a Mora Clipper which comes in handy for everything.Big knives are often a pain to cart about as they are heavy and get in the way
when you are canoeing , climbing etc so you will find that you are carrying your Mora as it is sharp light and doesn't fall out of the sheath if you
cough unexpectedly!I have lots of knives but often carry a small sheath knife and an axe in my pack.The axe does a better job of heavy work than any big knife
no matter how butch it looks on your belt.
Good luck with your choice and welcome to a great pastime as well.
Cheers , Simon

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
have a look at the non locking swiss army knives, very good usable tools. you say the blade on your multi tool doesn't do what you want it to, what do you mean?

Surely it's better with a sheath knife? Any folding knife limits you for what you can do. Cutting holes through wood, splitting end nocks, making a router and strip cutter are not only difficult but dangerous with a folding blade.

Would be interesting to know what you mean by your multi tool not being able to do the job when you say you don't make anything with it.

Folding knifes are handy but very limited in usefulness compared to a sheath knife.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
The only time I've cut myself with a folder by it closing on me was by me not paying attention to what i was doing(even then it was more a pinch due to the type of folder I use), there isn't very much bar heavy battening that you cant do with a good folder, I use a sub 3" slippy for most things while out(because doing "bushcraft" is not "Good reason":)) including carving the items I need, of course its easier with a fixed blade(by that I mean I don't need to concentrate on the limits of a folder) but unless I'm on a piece of land where I have permission to be I don't take one with me.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Aye but there are so many limitations in folding knifes, you would struggle to drive the tip in to wood as it puts too much pressure on the pin, you can't use it as a shear, it's difficult to use the thumb for fine control due to the blade wanting to close.

There handy but not good for serious work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE