what knife?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao:

I thought the shear thing was to shove the tip of the knife into a block, or a tree, and use it like a guillotine to cut branches and the like ? No?

cheers,
M

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Get a value for money knife like a Mora. Choose one you like the look of it does not have to be fancy, then use it. Learn to sharpen it properly for the type of cutting that you do. Most of us have more knives than we need but thats part of the fun. If you havent already then head over to British Blades lots of great stuff there.

Mark

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
:lmao:

I thought the shear thing was to shove the tip of the knife into a block, or a tree, and use it like a guillotine to cut branches and the like ? No?

cheers,
M
If your going to abuse your most useful tool why not just batton with it? With a bit of practice 99% of bushcraft skills in the UK can be accomplished with a decent slipjoint and someone who knows how to use it.:eek:

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No disagreement there :D

Somethings though, they're just easier with a big knife. I'd still rather carry a wee one.

Thinking on it, I have several plastic handled knives, and a couple of micarta scaled ones too. Nowt wrong with them :approve:
Might not have the aesthetics of the wooden ones, but they work fine, and feel good in use.

atb,
M

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
A good sheath knife will be more useful than a good folding knife this is logic and common sense.

Hmm, not sure about that one mate.

If you push a knife past it's apropriate duties you will probably break the blade and hurt yourself. What I advise doing is learn about your knife and it's design before trying to make it do everything.. including stupid strength test.

Back on topid of the young man wanting a new knife.. how about this one?

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Colt-Knives/Fixed-Blade/Colt-Knives-Tactical-Fixed/p-92-128-975-6949/

great value for money and more than likely capable of realist duties!

I'd say learn what can be done with a knife before you get one and go out with it, that way you won't be in the woods bored and with a knife in your hand. As that is never a good recipe.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hmm, not sure about that one mate.

If you push a knife past it's apropriate duties you will probably break the blade and hurt yourself. What I advise doing is learn about your knife and it's design before trying to make it do everything.. including stupid strength test.

Back on topid of the young man wanting a new knife.. how about this one?

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Colt-Knives/Fixed-Blade/Colt-Knives-Tactical-Fixed/p-92-128-975-6949/

great value for money and more than likely capable of realist duties!...

That one looks double edged (or at least a false edge on top) Is it UK legal? It does look cool though.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I
A good sheath knife will be more useful than a good folding knife this is logic and common sense.

If it really was common sense, then we wouldn't be having this discussion as we'd all agree, unless you think you are the only one here with common sense, which then would not make it so common eh? And that is logic. :)

And speaking of logic, the appeal to authority (Mors and his 50 years of experience) is a form of pseudoreasoning, i.e., faulty logic. Nice try though. So I would argue that your argument is neither logical nor common sense. Now in terms of those 50 years, I've been carrying a pocket knife since I was 5, so I can easily match the 50 years thingy. And one thing I've learned is when someone tells me I can't do X when I've already done X, well, I then have to disagree. As the old saying goes, don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining. I know the difference. Rain is colder. ;)

And it's not that I'm against fixed blades. I actually have a few of those and have been known to carry and use them. And I'll bet I've used them a lot more than you have used slip joints.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Back on topic; has anyone here tried a Tanto styled blade? Are they UK legal (I know most are fixed blades but other than that is there anything in the design that would render them illegal?) I've never tried one but it just seems such a simple, straight forward, and rugged design. And I've seen them available in lengths down to 4 or 5 inches.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think there's a confusion about the *legal* bit of UK knife law. With specific exceptions (sword sticks, new samurai swords, that kind of thing, belt buckle knives, push daggers ) all knives are legal, regardless of their size, in the right circumstances.

For every day use as a pocket knife, then the sub 3" (it's actually mm) non locking folder, is considered safely appropriate........but not in schools, hospitals, pubs and clubs, or trains (according to British Rail police).
However, the sheath knife is also perfectly legal, just not in schools, hospitals, pubs, clubs and trains. If stopped and queried by a policeman though, you best have a viable reason to be carrying it.

A major influence on public opinion is the regularity of police * amnesties * :rolleyes: and politicians demanding action against knife crime, shouted out in screaming banner headlines in the tabloids and tv reports.
The problem is that for us, since we commit no crime, is that we are tarred with the same mess as those who do, simply because we use knives. That we do it responsibly bypasses most folks who see us with a knife :sigh:
So, we are careful, we cause no bother, and we quietly and responsibly educate and demonstrate how to use the tools safely.

cheers,
Toddy

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Maybe i shouldn't have said serious work, poor turn of phrase. I have an SAK it's great but any folding knife has limitations compared to a sheath knife.

The OP said he had a multi tool already so he probably wanting a sheath knife.

Both are very good but a sheath knife is more useful than any folding knife.

I don't think it's just that - IMO the main limitation of a folding knife ultimately falls to ergonomics. I love the idea of a SAK but in practise after 10 minutes my hand starts to hurt. I'd be just as happy to be stranded in the middle of no where with a pocket knife as with a fixed knife (probably not very, either way).. At a pinch I've gone camping with only my UKPK

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think there's a confusion about the *legal* bit of UK knife law. With specific exceptions (sword sticks, new samurai swords, that kind of thing, belt buckle knives, push daggers ) all knives are legal, regardless of their size, in the right circumstances...

That's what I was getting at when I asked about the legality of a Tanto. The short ones (sub 6 inch) seem to me to be a knife. But I've seen various definitions call them daggers are even short swords. I was wondering how the law there might define them.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Why would you want a tanto shaped tip? I'm assuming you're talking the modern angular tanto thing that is popular. It just seems you lose a LOT of useability for the looks. I'd much rather have a drop point, or spear point, or if you're wanting it because of the straight edges, a wharncliffe style knife.

Also, as to driving a knife tip point into wood, I'm sure I have something in a book about doing that in order to process hide into cord, its probably in Mors book tbh

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm not saying I would want one, I've never used one. I'm asking if anyone else has used one and what their opinions are. And no, I'm not necessarily referring to the modern tip; although it does look particularly strong when prying things or chiseling (I have no use for stabbing)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I'm not saying I would want one, I've never used one. I'm asking if anyone else has used one and what their opinions are. And no, I'm not necessarily referring to the modern tip; although it does look particularly strong when prying things or chiseling (I have no use for stabbing)

Well, I believe Mors talked about this in one of his vids. He broke the tip off a mora and resharpened it. The resharpened tip had a tanto shape, which he actually preferred. Not zactly sure why.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
The shear technique is illistrated on pages 121 and 127, i also had a thread in "Bushcraft and survival skills" entitled "using a knife as a shear" Before i knew the actual technique i described it as a brutal thing to do then once i learned it it isn't very brutal at all.

It's great for food prep, which is just one application of it.

Anyway the OP got more than he bargained for lol.

Why do's anyone use a sheath knife?

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Why would you want a tanto shaped tip? I'm assuming you're talking the modern angular tanto thing that is popular. It just seems you lose a LOT of useability for the looks. I'd much rather have a drop point, or spear point, or if you're wanting it because of the straight edges, a wharncliffe style knife.

Also, as to driving a knife tip point into wood, I'm sure I have something in a book about doing that in order to process hide into cord, its probably in Mors book tbh

Yeah thats a very common method. You can drive the blade through a thumb thickness stick and do the same job but with a better depth gauge.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
If you do something silly with a knife it'll break, if you use it as a pry bar it'll probably break.

I don't consider driving the tip through wood to be brutal but i don't baton firewood either because i think thats brutal.

My opinion is there because the only slip joint i have is an SAK and i find if i make powerful cuts with it the tools on the other side lift, the blades of centre and it's more difficult to use the thumb for fine control without it wanting to close on you, my sheath knife eliminates these problems.

The OP has a multi tool which probably has a slip joint blade so he's probably after a sheath knife.

You can get a very good sheath knife for under a fiver.

Oct 24, 2011
Glasgow
i liked to the look of the mora companion, but my dad was thinking about getting me the gerber gator jr? My dad is quite lax with knives and axes you see, because he knows im not an idiot who will carry it about thinking im a hardman... and btw i got my age wrong (yes i know how is that possible) im actually 15 lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE